Sick Chicken PLEASE HELP!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Zach Brown, Mar 7, 2017.

1. Zach Brown

Zach Brown New Egg

Mar 7, 2017
    Hi. My chicken Jeremiah is looking very sad. The top half of her come is black and her whole come has flopped over. She is always blinking and very slowly. She has a pooy bum and doesn't eat or move much. Please help me! I can't bare another chicken dying!

2. PD-Riverman

PD-Riverman Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    To start Welcome, sorry about your chicken. How old is she? Any time you post questions give all the details you can to speed things up. How long has she been sick? What are you giving her---medicine?

3. Zach Brown

Zach Brown New Egg

Mar 7, 2017
    Thanks for your reply! I don't know how old she is. I got her from my grandparents. I do know that she is old, though. Not like old old but on the old side of life (I think). We haven't been giving her any medicine as we do not know what to give her.

4. PD-Riverman

PD-Riverman Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    I would go to Tractor Supply(or similar) and get a bottle of tylan50. ""I"" personally give mine 1ml oral once a day for a few days(draw 1ml out the bottle with a needle, take the needle off and ease it in the corner of her mouth---holding her head back and hold till she swallows). If she is not eating again ""I"" make a warm watered feed mix---using chick feed or factory layer feed(gotta use feed that some-what dissolves in water)use a bigger syringe and draw liquid "gravy" off and ease it into the corner of her mouth--I do dissolve a baby aspirin in it some times---I feed this for a day or two offering her the warm feed---on a spoon---if her strength starts building up she will probably eat the warm feed/water mix. If she is not eating her body temp will be low so I place mine of a older(stays on all the time) heating pad on low---with a towel laying on it so its not to hot---I place this in the bottom of a plastic tote and put her in it until she starts eating some. When/if she perks up """I""" then worm if her weight is low(boney)---I have brought back several near death doing this---yes some do die but I tried..

Last edited: Mar 8, 2017
  5. kellyhubb

kellyhubb Out Of The Brooder

Jun 8, 2013
    Greenville, SC
    Have you tried using the chicken symptom checker tool yet on PoultryDVM.com?

6. Lucyluvchickens

Lucyluvchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2017
    Dripping Springs, Texas
    She may be dehydrated, or she may have diarrhea. If she is dehydrated you should get some electrolytes and some vitamins. You can get those at tractor supply, or any other feed stores that are near you. I usually get the brand, rooster booster

7. Zach Brown

Zach Brown New Egg

Mar 7, 2017
    Thank you so much! You have helped my save my chickens life! You are amazing! THANK YOU!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by