1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

sick chicken please help!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by clarehamlbin, Apr 20, 2011.

1. clarehamlbin

clarehamlbin New Egg

Apr 20, 2011
    hi i have two ex batt laying hens one is as lively as ever while my other hen is acting sleeping.....a couple of days ago i noticed she had poo stuck to her feathers and was acting very sleeping and just standing around with her head tucked into her chest so i cleaned her up and thought she may of just had an upset stomach but shes acting worse and now spends most of the day standing sleeping and not even botherd to go scratching around the garden or running into the house when i open my back door. she doesnt look as if shes lost weight and is still eating and drinking....is she just being unsociable or is she in pain and what can i do? any advice would be a great help [​IMG]

2. BrattishTaz

BrattishTaz Roo Magnet

Jan 8, 2011
    Tampa Area, Florida
    [​IMG]

Try giving her some vitamins. I use polyvisol without iron (human infant vitamins). Some scrambled eggs and yogurt will also help in giving her a boost of protein. Check her for lice/mites and worms as these all will cause lethargy in birds. Has she been laying? Feel her abdomen, she could also be eggbound.

3. clarehamlbin

clarehamlbin New Egg

Apr 20, 2011
    thanks for advice iv checked for lice and worms but all clear. Iv tried feeling her abdomen but im not realy sure what it is im feeling for [​IMG] she hasnt laid for around 4 days

4. earthmama24

earthmama24 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 20, 2011
    Charleston
    Get her on GSE (grapefruit seed extract) ASAP! You can put 2 to 3 drops in some water and use an eyedropper to get it down her. Please see my blog for the best treatment. I dealt with infectious coryza in my flock and only lost 1 bird and that was due to my not having the time to do the treatment. The good thing about GSE is that it is going to kill whatever organism is causing the illness, so it doesn't matter if it is infectious coryza or something else. Also, I strongly emphasize getting some nutrition in her, like Ensure or the like. Hope this helps.

earthmama24.blogspot.com/2011/03/natural-treatment-of-infectious-coryza.html

earthmama24

5. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    Have you wormed your birds lately?

6. clarehamlbin

clarehamlbin New Egg

Apr 20, 2011
    iv never wormed any of my chickens but i have checked their poo and theres no sign of worms. Iv also looked up on coryza and i dont think this is the case as she hasnt got any of the cold symptoms. im going to get her some vitamins and see if it helps. thanks for comments.

7. earthmama24

earthmama24 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 20, 2011
    Charleston
    Please don't not do GSE because it is not coryza. The fact that she has loose stool indicates there is something going on and GSE will kill it whether it is viral, bacterial, fungal, parasitic, etc. You can't hurt her by doing GSE and can only help her. I have used GSE for all sorts of illnesses in humans and animals and have nothing but praise for the results. If you do not have any on hand, I would strongly suggest ordering some online (you can google for the best price) but any responsible pet owner should have it on hand. If I had only known about it 9 months ago I would never have lost my sweet little Autumn. I would also strongly suggest doing a drench. You can probably find a recipe online and I have one on my blog but its basically something to get them a little more energy so they can heal. Adding vitamins to the drench would be ideal.

Best wishes on getting her better!

earthmama24

8. clarehamlbin

clarehamlbin New Egg

Apr 20, 2011
    ok thanks il look for some now and get back to you with the resuts.
    hope it works [​IMG]

9. sammi77

sammi77 Out Of The Brooder

May 30, 2011
    Hi
    I am in the Uk and I have a chicken, Holly, with similar symptoms. My four were wormed about three weeks ago. She is the bottom of the pecking order. She is eating, but justs sort of sits a bit ruffled and falls asleep then shakes her head every few seconds. She is about 18months old.

I had an older chicken who started with these symptoms and it went on for about 8-12months and she died earlier this month. She had a large hard swelling in her abdomen and a smell around her. We drained browny/black fluid from her abdomen.

Holly is also staring to have a 'smell' about her as Cluck did.

Really do not want to loose another of my girls [​IMG]

Any help would be much appreciated [​IMG]

10. sammi77

sammi77 Out Of The Brooder

May 30, 2011
    Oh and I forgot to ask, what is 'Drench'?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by