Sick chicken please help!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by a123andpoof, Dec 11, 2011.

1. a123andpoof

a123andpoof Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2011
    Age and breed: Red Sex link under a year old but laying.

Symptoms: Stays in same area, pale comb, and stays hunched up, sounds like she is sneezing and possible discharge.

How long: A few weeks. At first I thought it was just cause she didn't like the snow. Another chicken stayed in with her. I dont think she was really sick in the beginning.

Is she still laying: I don't think so. And I have not felt any eggs inside her.

Other: I put electrolytes in water this morning and she is eating. I put her outside today and yesterday. She does stay outside but doesnt go far.

None of the other chicken appear to be sick.

Any help would be much appreciated as I am a bit worried about her.

2. SunnyCalifornia

SunnyCalifornia Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2010
    Escondido CA
    Separate, give some heat, and identify the exact symptoms. Don't wait too long.

3. heritagebirds

heritagebirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Eastern Shore MD
    Sorry to hear about that. When I see some of my chickens acting 'off', I'll give some colloidal silver in the water. I don't know what to tell you, but maybe someone will have another idea.

4. a123andpoof

Mar 17, 2011
    I really can't seperate her. As much as I would like to. I have babies in the only divider. And the last time I tried to put them in with the hens (last week) one was killed.

5. SunnyCalifornia

SunnyCalifornia Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2010
    Escondido CA
    Dog crate?? Big box? I don't want you to risk your babies either, but some illnesses are contagious. Its a good idea to pull out sick acting birds from the flock.

6. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    Quote:Absolutely agree. If it's a respiratory thing(which it sounds like)-a lot of those are contagious.
    Terramyacin water soluble antibiotics in the water ASAP. She does need a warm, quiet spot.

7. a123andpoof

Mar 17, 2011
    Ill see what I can do. Ill ask my dad tomarrow if i can put her in the garage. Should I give the chickens the terramyacin? And if I do should I give it to all of them?

8. BamaSilkies

BamaSilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 28, 2011
    NE Alabama
    Its Tetracycline. Terramycin is for the eyes. I wouldnt treat the others unless they are showing symptoms that way you will know one if its contagious two theres no need to do that to them. Antibiotics kills the good and bad bacteria. They need the good. I would definitely separate the sick one asap.

9. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    Quote:Give only the sick girl the Terramyacin. I wouldn't give it to anyone that isn't showing symptoms.

10. a123andpoof

Mar 17, 2011
    Okay. I did get the okay to put her in the garage temperarily. And decided to use a chick pen for her. What medicine do I give her though...a little confused on that...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by