Sick Chicken Please Help!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by pleach, Aug 7, 2013.

1. pleach

pleach Out Of The Brooder

Aug 7, 2013
    Texas
    A few weeks ago I started noticing that my chicken was getting a skin infection. It keeps getting worse and worse. My hens head is very swollen and covered in scabs and bumps. Does anyone know what this is and what can I use to stop it? I am new to BYC and I would love to have some good reliable feedback.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. mithious

mithious Chillin' With My Peeps

Have you looked at the fowl pox thread yet? I would check there first...I don't know what they give for fowl pox, but that thread will and might have other suggestions also, if it is not fowl pox, most threads do talk about other issues, since these diseases cam lead to secondary issues.

3. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Looks like your hen is infected with fowl pox. There is no treatment for fowl pox, but to prevent secondary infection (which is more severe than the disease), treat the bird with an antibiotic, such as Terramycin,. The Terramycin (also known as Oxytetracycline) dosage is 1/8 teaspoon powdered Terramycin per cup of drinking water for 7-14 days. During this time, do not give dairy products, such as yogurt, or probiotics. Vitamins/electrolytes are fine, though.

The fowl pox itself will run its course in a few weeks. Be aware that, though your bird has the dry pox form (the form that causes lumps outside of the body), it could develop the wet form, which is more severe. In fowl pox's wet form, sores/lumps infest the respiratory tract and throat. If they become large enough, the bird dies from suffocation.

Good luck with your hen!

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    That looks pretty bad to be dry fowl pox. I'm not sure about that diagnosis. Hopefully one of the oldtimers will chime in.

5. MelissaTXRn

MelissaTXRn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2013
    Oh my! That poor thing. I am not sure either, but I hope you find out soon. Bless your heart

6. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Dawg 53, can you look at this one?

7. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2013
  8. pleach

pleach Out Of The Brooder

Aug 7, 2013
    Texas
    Thank you everyone for your responses. I appreciate all the tips. I'm going to use Terramycin and other antibiotics to help clear this up along with a topical ointment. I will be taking her to work with me tomorrow so I can keep an eye on her and feed her the medications. I had heard from my vet friend that mosquito bites cause this and so can flies.

9. CluckCluck18

CluckCluck18 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    Largo, FL
    Yep, it comes from Mosquitos and flies and good luck trying to stop that down here where I live! It's been Africa hot, rainy and the humidity will knock you over at 20 paces. Hang in there...it usually looks worse than it is. Keep in touch and let us know how your girl is doing. :rolleyes:

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by