sick chicken please help!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by bkyrdchckn, Dec 8, 2013.

1. bkyrdchckn

bkyrdchckn New Egg

Sep 24, 2013
    The other morning I went out to feed my chickens, and i noticed that one was still in the coop. I went in and found one of our gold sex-links sitting in a very rigid straight up position, she was almost sitting like a dog or cat. Her comb was very purple and was floppy. I removed her from the coop and brought her into the house in front of a heater, (we live in Colorado, and its winter so it is very cold, so I thought maybe she would get better if she was warm). She seemed to be suffering, she couldn't hold her head up, it was laying very limply next to her. She looked dead. She was there for a few hours at least, and pooped, (very runny, green) and she was not moving at all. I researched everything about her condition, but no results came up. We finally just put her out of her misery, it was clear she would not improve at all. All the other chickens are fine, none of the other ones are showing any symptoms of illness. Has anybody ever seen anything similar to this, we are new chicken owners so we are still learning, or known anyone this has happened to? I want to have a healthy flock, and hopefully prevent this from happening again! Thanks!!

2. hensintheHOUse

hensintheHOUse Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2013
    NewYork
    Hello, Your hen's symptom was like mine.

If she hasn't laid an egg for days, then she may have egg bound or internal layer / egg yolk peritonitis.

Thomas lavatories's penicillin worked well on my hen more than Baytril.
    She needs a lot of calcium also to push them out.
    She better stays in the darker place.
    That is what I was told and working well.

I may be wrong, which is a good thing.

I hope you hen will feel better.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2013
  3. bkyrdchckn

bkyrdchckn New Egg

Sep 24, 2013
    Ok thank you for your help! Sadly she has already passed :( she was getting worse and was just suffering so we put her out of her misery. Hope your chicken does better than mine did!

4. hensintheHOUse

hensintheHOUse Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2013
    NewYork
    I am very sorry for your loss.
    My thoughts and prayers are with you truly.

And, thank you for your very kind words.

Big hugs to you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by