Sick Chicken...Please help

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by tash8388, Aug 31, 2014.

1. tash8388

tash8388 New Egg

Aug 31, 2014
    Hi, I have 2 Isa Brown cross breed hens which are almost 3 years old. Both hens have been off the lay for several weeks. One day last week both were looking a little under the weather so I wormed them. I have never seen or had any issues with lice/mites. One hen has been fine since but the other one who has also had a poopy bum for the last week or so is being particularly slow/lethargic. Today she has been crouching & closing her eyes (my fiancé thinks she is trying to poop but can't). She did not move at all when we caught her & cleaned/cut off the poop. Her vent appeared to be okay. Her crown has also gotten a little floppy the last week or 2, not sure if that means anything. Any additional checks or what I can do to help would be appreciated.

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Welcome to BYC. She should be mostly immune from coccidiosis in your yard unless you have recently moved or added a new bird. Corid is the treatment for cocci. Enteritis can also be a common intestinal disease, and is treated with many common antibiotics--Gallimycin, amoxicillin, bacitracin, Lincomycin, just to name a few. I would check inside her vent for egg binding just in case. She could possibly be getting egg yolk peritonitis or internal laying, which can be common in high production layers at her age. Here is a link about enteritis: http://www.thepoultrysite.com/diseaseinfo/101/necrotic-enteritis

Last edited: Aug 31, 2014
  3. tash8388

tash8388 New Egg

Aug 31, 2014
    Thanks for the advice, unfortunately my sick hen, Hazel, passed away this morning, about an hr before the vets opened.

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Sorry for your loss. I hope no other get sick.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by