sick chicken please help

sassykea100

In the Brooder
5 Years
Nov 25, 2014
MY chickens clicks are starting to sound gurgly like how a person sounds when they have a stuffy or runny nose. Could she possible have a stuffy or runny nose. If so what can I do to help her. Any info would be Apreciated. Please help

Sounds like a respiratory infection maybe. What type chicken? Age? Conditions-ie cold or warm weather, wet, dry climate? If you feel she has a respiratory infection I would isolate her in a cage if possible and give her some antibiotic.

Sounds like a respiratory infection maybe.  What type chicken? Age?   Conditions-ie cold or warm weather, wet, dry climate?   If you feel she has a respiratory infection I would isolate her in a cage if possible and give her some antibiotic.

She's our only chicken. I have no idea on the breed. We've had her for a couple months but we don't know how old she was when we got her.and it's slightly chilly. I live in st. George (southern tip of) utah. It doesn't get very cold. It's been dry but today it started sprinkling.

Here is a really good link to read about the common respiratory diseases and their symptoms that affect chickens including infectious bronchitis, mycoplasma gallisepticum, infectious coryza, infectious laryngotracheitis aspergillosis, and others: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

Respiratory diseases in chickens are usually contagious and can make carriers of a flock for life, but antibiotics such as Tylan and oxytetracycline may help treat symptoms or help prevent secondary infections.

Last edited:
Here is a really good link to read about the common respiratory diseases and their symptoms that affect chickens including infectious bronchitis, mycoplasma gallisepticum, infectious coryza, infectious laryngotracheitis aspergillosis, and others:  http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

Respiratory diseases in chickens are usually contagious and can make carriers of a flock for life, but antibiotics such as Tylan and oxytetracycline may help treat symptoms or help prevent secondary infections.  

We have only one chicken. I don't know where she could have gotten it from

Some respiratory diseases can come from wild birds or neighboring flocks. It is possible to bring in a disease on your shoes or clothes from public places such as feed stores, or from places where poultry are sold or traded. Some birds canbe carriers for fairly long periods before showing signs. The are viruses, bacterial diseases, as well as fungal diseases, so I would read the above link to compare your hen's symptoms, as well as look at your coop for any possible problems. To prevent respiratory diseases, good ventilation high up in the coop, keeping conditions dry and free of droppings and ammonia odor, preventing too warmof temperatures, and keeping direct drafts off your birds may help.

Some respiratory diseases can come from wild birds or neighboring flocks. It is possible to bring in a disease on your shoes or clothes from public places such as feed stores, or from places where poultry are sold or traded. Some birds canbe carriers for fairly long periods before showing signs. The are viruses, bacterial diseases, as well as fungal diseases, so I would read the above link to compare your hen's symptoms, as well as look at your coop for any possible problems. To prevent respiratory diseases, good ventilation high up in the coop, keeping conditions dry and free of droppings and ammonia odor, preventing too warmof temperatures, and keeping direct drafts off your birds may help.

We do have mice around. One is nesting in the enclosed part of our coop. Under the floor board.

@Eggcessive gave you very good information. Please keep us posted on her condition. Good luck. By the way, Welcome to Backyard Chickens.

@Eggcessive
 gave you very good information.  Please keep us posted on her condition.  Good luck.  By the way, Welcome to Backyard Chickens.

I will keep you posted. she's already gotten a beak injury that is swolen and causing other problems with the beak. I just hope thus isn't serious

Back
Top Bottom