sick chicken- Poo picture

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Lastuart, May 26, 2016.

1. Lastuart

Lastuart New Egg

Sep 21, 2014
    Anchorage Alaska
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    We are not sure if she has a bacterial infection or worms? She has been inactive for a couple of days now, she drinks a little bit and will eat a little yogurt. Any ideas?

Last edited: May 26, 2016
  2. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
  3. cutiechook1

cutiechook1 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2016
    Sittin' at the computer!
    [​IMG]Ewwwww!!! Poor chicken! I'm so sorry, I wish I could help the poor thing... But I do have one question, Do you know which chicken is pooping that?

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Can you give us more details, such as how old she is, if she has been laying eggs recently, if she has lost weight through her breast area or has any swelling in her lower belly, if she has been wormed recently, and if she is hunched or puffed up? Sometimes yellow material in stools can be egg material from internal laying or egg peritonitis.

Last edited: May 27, 2016
  5. Lastuart

Lastuart New Egg

Sep 21, 2014
    Anchorage Alaska
    She is a 2 year old (msp) Cochin. We thought she went broody a couple of weeks ago, but it only lasted a day. On Sunday she was running across the yard with a worm in her mouth and the other girls were chasing her. By Monday she was just sitting in the coop on y
    The floor. We brought her outside and she just stood there. She has laid one egg in the last couple of weeks. She appears to have lost some body weigh. She does not stand much, just sits with her wings by her side.

6. Tacampbell1973

Tacampbell1973 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2013
    Washington State
    OMG You may have been describing what I had happen last week to my favorite Cochin hen. Diarrea, listlessness, lost weight, no appetite. I didn't rewlize she was sick as she was hiding it. So first thing i did is quarentine her in my house. She could have worms I'm told , so I promptly wormed the whole flock. Well she would only eat a little yogurt, and just stand there. I don't mean to wizz on your hopefulness, but my Ohana did a convulsion flopped over dead. We dissposed of her tiny fluffy body, but I am still left with unanswered questions.I hope your bird is okl I never get over losing my babies. Good luck,

7. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    It sounds like she may have a problem with internal laying or egg yolk peritonitis possibly. You can try treating her or get vet care to help diagnose it, but if it is that, I would just keep her as comfortable as possible, feed her egg, tuna, and good feed, and let her live out her time. Here is some reading:
    http://www.chickenvet.co.uk/health-and-common-diseases/egg-laying-issues/index.aspx
    http://scoopfromthecoop.nutrenaworld.com/tag/laying-issues/
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/526089/egg-yolk-peritonitis

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by