Sick Chicken - poop pics included

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by beallfarms, Aug 29, 2014.

1. beallfarms

beallfarms Out Of The Brooder

Dec 23, 2013
    N Indiana
    Noticed yesterday one of our RIR (1.5 yrs old) very lethargic and listless. Separated her for the day/night. Here is a pic of poop found this am.

Other symptoms - droopy tail feathers, very quiet, barely makes any noise. Not eating, little water.
    Thoughts? Ideas?

[​IMG]

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Heat stress, worms, internal laying, mites, and other things needs to be ruled out. She has a lot of urates in her droppings.Is she eating or drinking? I would put some electrolytes in her water today, and offer some scrambled egg. Has she been wormed lately? Have you added any new birds or moved to new ground where she could be exposed to a different strain of coccidiosis? Has she ever laid soft or shell-less eggs? Do you ever notice egg yolk material in the droppings? Check her for mites and lice especially under the vent.

3. beallfarms

Dec 23, 2013
    N Indiana
    Thanks for the quick reply! Here are some answers to your questions:

Nothing new to environment. I have 10 birds - 7 are original when we started spring 2013 (she's an original), 3 new chicks spring 2014. In run and coop they've always been in. Are out most every afternoon/evening in yard.

I've checked for mites/lice. Have not seen anything.

I don't believe she's been eating, some drinking.

I've never wormed any of our birds.

I'm not sure she lays or how often. She's always been the runt. Very small compared to her sisters. But we've kept her because kids got attached.

4. beallfarms

Dec 23, 2013
    N Indiana
    I forgot to mention Eggcessive - early this week we had a horrible stretch of hot humid weather. Worse we've had all summer. It finally started cooling down Weds. night. Maybe heat related and she will perk up in this cooler weather?

5. leedyfeathers

leedyfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2014
    VA

if can get hands on vitamin electrolight and probotic mix give it to her by suringe three times day as much as 3 mg at time.
    i had a hin that was almost dead only thing that moved was her eyes and shallow gaping breath she was a limp noodle! except legs and wings felt like tight stiff even. i gave drops between breaths nursed her for an hour like that slow but was breathing improved i proped her up in sitting position so nothing would come back up and choke her. kept this up allday put her in cool dark area. by that night her head could slightly move and was not gapping next day i gave her more three other times slowly. i gave her yogert as food next day though she wasnt standing and by that night she was eating bird seed. i have a healy live chicken now.

6. leedyfeathers

leedyfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2014
    VA
    i use this mix on hot days in my waterer and keep a short bucket of extra water for them to drink praise God its been working.. now i have to do some work on pen to keep hawks out.. one came out my coop! didnt get eggs for twodays.

7. beallfarms

Dec 23, 2013
    N Indiana
    Quick update - started giving her electrolytes. No real change observed yet.

Now she is showing some blood in her poop. What could be going on here?

8. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Blood in the poop usually means coccidiosis which is one of the things I suggested earlier. Some worms can cause blood in stools, but I would treat them all with Corid (amprollium) for 5 days first, and I would get the Corid as soon as possible. If blood then persisits, I would either get a stool sample checked for capillaria worms, or treat her with 5 days in a row of SafeGuard Liquid Goat Wormer (fenbendazole) at 1 ml (for a standard hen) by mouth. 1/2 ml for bantams. This dosage is higher, and for more than one day because capillaria worm is hard to treat.

9. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Sorry, double post

Last edited: Aug 29, 2014
  10. beallfarms

Dec 23, 2013
    N Indiana
    I will pick some Corid up tomorrow. Couple of questions.

Are eggs still edible from healthy chickens who are on Corid?

How did an older chicken with no change in environment get coccidiosis?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by