Sick Chicken: purple comb, gaping, squeaky sneezes

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by oaklandchicks, Jan 3, 2011.

1. oaklandchicks

oaklandchicks Out Of The Brooder

Mar 12, 2007
    My dear barred rock hen is very sick. She is gaping with every breath. No wheeze sound, just dry breath. She is not eating. I have given her some acv in water, water, a bit of yogurt. There is nothing coming from her nose that I can see. The other chickens are fine. She won't eat on her own. When I do get some thing in her I can hear it gurgle around. Any thoughts? Thanks!!

2. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    What's her crop like? Poop okay? How long has she been this way? Check her throat anf mouth for anything stuck. The purple comb makes me think of oxygen deprivation.

Actually, try to answer the questions here, it will help. After you separate her and check her throat and mouth for obstruction.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=3569

3. oaklandchicks

Mar 12, 2007
    Thank you ranchhand. I am not sure how to look down her throat. I hold her mouth open and look down but don't see much. I do think she may be obstructed. How can I see further down?? Any advice? I don't have an extra set of hands at the moment.

Her crop is empty. Her poop is okay. I found her this way this morning.

4. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Oh boy, I'm not much help here since I've never dealt with this situation.
    All I can suggest is what I would try- sitting down, with the hen locked between my legs. Open the beak with one hand a shine a small flash inside. If I DID see something, I'd tape the flash to something to hold it for me and try to probe carefully with hemostats or dull tweezers. IF I could get her to stay still. Otherwise, I'd try giving her some bread soaked in oil, to see if it would "catch" the obstruction. That actually might make it worse, but desperate times call for desperate measures.

I'm sorry I'm not much help, perhaps someone else can help.

BTW, check her nostrils also.

5. Zoey

Zoey Out Of The Brooder

Jun 5, 2009
    Big Island, Hawaii
    Sounds like you hen has a serious respiratory infection, Get Tylan 50 or 200 and some syringes, you can inject 1/2 cc once a day for 7 days.. Either, just under the skin behind the neck, or at an angle (not straight in) to the breast muscle.. avoid hitting the crop..

There will be an egg withholding time of 2 to 3 weeks after the last shot...

OR you can treat her water with LS, 50 ... for 7 to 10 days, as per the package directions... be sure this is the only water this hen can get into during the treatment time, or she won't get the right dose.

Only do one or the other , not both...

6. oaklandchicks

Mar 12, 2007
    Thanks Zoey. She is about to go under. Very sad. There is no rattling in her lungs. Is there any way this could be gape worm? How do you look for it?

There is no where to buy the meds here that I can find - oakland ca. Anyone know a place???

Thanks!

7. oaklandchicks

Mar 12, 2007
    Thanks Zoey. She is about to go under. Very sad. There is no rattling in her lungs. Is there any way this could be gape worm? How do you look for it?

There is no where to buy the meds here that I can find - oakland ca. Anyone know a place???

Thanks!

8. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    If this came on gradually, it is probably a respiratory infection, and I would keep a close eye on the rest of the flock. If this was rapid onset, I would guess an object stuck in her throat or a heart attack.

9. Zoey

Zoey Out Of The Brooder

Jun 5, 2009
    Big Island, Hawaii
    Gape worm...

I gently pinch the waddles with one hand, and open her beak with the other , and look at the back of the throat... You'd SEE red strings in there .. those would be the worms ...

10. Chickengal505

Chickengal505 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2010
    Bolivia N.C
    I agree with above poster gape worm is the first thing that i think of

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by