Sick chicken - puzzled owner. Please help!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by rboyd83, Apr 12, 2017.

1. rboyd83

rboyd83 New Egg

May 10, 2016
    One of the girls - she is about 1 1/2 yrs old, has become depressed, lethargic, doesn't want to eat or drink. I found her in the coop like that. The evening before she was fine. When I came out the next morning to check on them she was almost non-responsive and seemed like she was sleeping. They're on the same feed/scratch/oyster shell etc. they've always been on. They have access to outside/free range and grass throughout the day but nothing else. Not crop impacted, not egg bound, no lice, mites, worms and no known trauma. I'll be completely honest the nearest poultry vet is over 4 hrs away & I work for a vet (Just doesn't see poultry :) ) but I'm not making that drive in. I've brought her inside, she's in a warm dry crate, I've been giving her water and a slurry of food. Stools are still normal and she's slightly more responsive but really just kind of existing. I'm looking to see if anyone can think of anything that I'm missing? That I also can handle at home because in all honesty I'm not making an 8 hr round trip but I don't want her to just exist or suffer either. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I would be tempted to treat her with Corid for possible coccidiosis. Every once in awhile we have hens on here who are older and doing poorly, and they have coccidiosis when a vet checks their poop. Dosage is 1 1/2 tsp of the powder or 2 tsp of the liquid Corid per gallon of water for 5-7 days. It won't hurt the others to treat the water, but it needs to be her only water source. Until then I would put a small amount of feed in a lot of water and mix to make it soupy. Offer her that with a little chopped egg or tuna. Could she be low in the pecking order and being kept from food and water? Has she started her first molt with any feather loss yet? They can get pretty droopy and aloof with a molt.

3. rboyd83

rboyd83 New Egg

May 10, 2016
    She's molted before and this is different. In her crate she will just stand/sit there with her eyes closed most of the time. She's separated from the other girls, has access to water, her regular feed and a soupy gruel made from her regular feed - none of which she'll touch. I tried scrambled eggs and a few other things she normally likes and nothing. As far as pecking order she's probably one of my bossier girls. The Corid is a good idea! How long after treatment, if I was going to see a response do you think I might see one?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by