Sick Chicken Question

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by KentM, Jan 16, 2011.

1. KentM

KentM New Egg

Jan 16, 2011
    I see I'm not alone in this area. Anyway, I have two (of 17) 2 year old hens, red "blank" link, who started getting lethargic then would keep one or both eyes closed. Now they are turning their heads back into their shoulders and just sitting there. Had one 3 weeks back that was doing the same thing and it died about a week after sypmtoms appeared. There was a little bit of "coughing" as much as a chicken can cough in the last one, but haven't noticed that yet with these two. Stools seem normal (although it's hard to tell with 17 of them), eyes don't seem bright when they are open, no other obvious signs of illness. No recent changes to their food or habitat. I live in east central Iowa if that helps. Anyway, if anyone has any ideas it would be greatly appreciated! Thanks, Kent.

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    First of all Kent let me [​IMG] what have you been doing to treat them? do you have VetRX? there is a product that has gotten rave reviews by the name of oxine, since I read this article about this product I have been telling everyone about it. www.shagbarkbantams.com/oxine.htm I use it in the coop I spray my flock with it once a week and also put it into their water every other day I use ACV on alternate days. I don't know if you can find oxine except on line but I would recommend that any one that has backyard birds have this on hand. In the mean time have you checked them for mites, lice? have you ever wormed them? Maybe a picture would help. you can tell alot by a pic.

3. KentM

KentM New Egg

Jan 16, 2011
    Thanks for the welcome Miss Lydia. Checked and didn't notice lice or mites and haven't wormed them. I'll look into the oxine and see if I can get a pic that shows one of them well. Guess I've been lucky as I've never lost one and never had any problems up till now.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by