Sick chicken - rock in poop?

Alysones

In the Brooder
Feb 3, 2021
I noticed One of my girls not acting herself last week. She was sleeping in nesting box at night per my cameras, and not being her active self. Her comb was flopped over so that’s what made me isolate her. She is 5 months and has been laying for the last month. She is still eating and drinking. I’ve given her probiotics , poultry cell, mealworms, eggs , vet rx. She’s been isolated for 6 days now and still alive. 4 days ago I thought Maybe egg bound but I thought That kills them in 48 hours so I guess It’s not. II’ve given her an epsom salt bath , massaged crop , veg oil in water one day and aspirin in water. I then thought maybe parasites so i gave her a dose of goat deworm two days ago. I’ve been monitoring her stools which are more white in color but also dark green.

Today I saw This rock in her poop. There is no way it got into the area she is caged in. Could this have been the problem the whole time ?

Attachments

• 474C3521-62F4-420B-91ED-9465B622FCC7.jpeg
    474C3521-62F4-420B-91ED-9465B622FCC7.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 15
No that's harmless. Chickens pick up similar gravel to serve as grit in their gizzards. When it loses its sharp edges, it's pooped out.

Egg binding should be treated first-off with calcium before your do anything else. Often on calcium citrate tablet, or Tums if it's all you have, will encourage contractions that will expel the blockage.
F57D4B6B-216D-49EC-A92C-3DFAF3C5915E.jpeg
I keep this in my run at all times to immediately treat any hen that seems to be feeling ill. In fact, I just noticed a two-year old hen in my flock self isolating in a corner and I pushed one tablet into her beak and put her into a nest box to rest and feel safe. I'll probably let her sleep there tonight in case the egg wants to come out before morning.

Give another table tomorrow if she still hasn't passed the egg or blockage.

No that's harmless. Chickens pick up similar gravel to serve as grit in their gizzards. When it loses its sharp edges, it's pooped out.

Egg binding should be treated first-off with calcium before your do anything else. Often on calcium citrate tablet, or Tums if it's all you have, will encourage contractions that will expel the blockage.View attachment 3417485I keep this in my run at all times to immediately treat any hen that seems to be feeling ill. In fact, I just noticed a two-year old hen in my flock self isolating in a corner and I pushed one tablet into her beak and put her into a nest box to rest and feel safe. I'll probably let her sleep there tonight in case the egg wants to come out before morning.

This could still be the issue if it’s been a week?

Egg binding should be treated first-off with calcium before your do anything else. Often on calcium citrate tablet, or Tums if it's all you have, will encourage contractions that will expel the blockage.View attachment 3417485I keep this in my run at all times to immediately treat any hen that seems to be feeling ill. In fact, I just noticed a two-year old hen in my flock self isolating in a corner and I pushed one tablet into her beak and put her into a nest box to rest and feel safe. I'll probably let her sleep there tonight in case the egg wants to come out before morning.

Thankfully I was Out runnin errands when I resd This. Just grabbed some. Can I mix in water and give via syringe

Back
Top Bottom