1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Sick Chicken - Scorpion?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by JPinAZ3, Feb 26, 2008.

1. JPinAZ3

JPinAZ3 New Egg

Feb 25, 2008
    I live in AZ and yesterday evening I was moving a pile of red brick. Well it didn't take long for the girls to figure out that there were lots of good bugs and a few scorpions for the eatin' in that pile and cleaned up while I moved the bricks. My head hen, Olive, feasted on 2 - 3 scorpions, which I didn't think much of as I have always heard chickens were a great way to clear your yard of them. Well today she is not in a good way. She is very quiet and laying around quite a bit. She is very, very docile. I am worried. Did she get stung? Did the venom hurt her? Any ideas?

2. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

Wow, I dont know. I thought chickens were good for eating them as well. Hope she pulls through.

3. airmom1c05

airmom1c05 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2008
    Raymond, Mississippi
    Is she eating and drinking? Are her droppings normal? I'm not an expert by any stretch of the imagination, but if I couldn't get a sure fire answer and she were my hen, I'd probably cook a small amount of oatmeal and stir in some probiotic yogurt to help her digestive tract (if chickens have digestive tracts. Anybody on the forum think that would be a good or bad idea?

4. d.k

d.k red-headed stepchild

*we have scorpions too. Small reddish ones & big black ones. SUPPOSEDLY, their sting is "no worse than a bee sting or 2". But, Arizona?? I'D ask a vet, hon! Fast!

5. 65browneyes

65browneyes Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2007
    Arizona
    I'm in Arizona, too. Had a hen a couple years ago that I think took a scorpion wallup to the face. She developed a horrible scabbing over her whole face, lost all her feathers and hair on her head and face, became very lethargic, etc, etc. I separated her, kept vaseline on her scabs, making sure to cover the eyelids so they would be pliable enough for her to open them to find food and water. Took a couple weeks, but she healed wonderfully and went right back to her crabby, cranky self.

Good luck with your hen.

6. JPinAZ3

JPinAZ3 New Egg

Feb 25, 2008
    Well, left her alone and she seems to be better. Back to her old squaking self. I guess we will never know....

Last edited: Feb 28, 2008
  7. 65browneyes

65browneyes Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2007
    Arizona
    Glad to hear it, JP! Thanks for letting us know.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by