Sick chicken, shaking head and withdrawn

Jojo37

Hatching
Sep 19, 2018
Hello!
I am not sure if anyone can shed some light on the subject as the vet was none the wiser.
My chicken Hilda is lethargic and withdrawn, and shaking head often.
Stands in one place most of the day not moving much. Crop and wattle Is still very red, as is face- which is odd. Currently on 10 day antibiotic drops that haven’t done much yet (day 4)
Prior to this I found worm in poop along with lots of stringy orange stuff (intestinal lining?). Vet said it was not just the worms but her (previous) infection returning so antibiotics first and finish them before wormer.
Eyes, nose, ear are clear.
Off Feed, but eats a little egg and yoghurt. Generally looks miserable and not usual outgoing self.
I have 2 chickens (one Sussex Brown I think and also rescue hybrid I added to keep her company 1 month ago)
Original hens from flock were a group of 3 my sister got as pullets.
The other 2 passed away (one from a foot problem and one from cancerous growth) and we were left with Hilda as my sis couldn’t take them in her new place. She’s about 2.
Hilda is on her 3rd bout of illness (!)
1st time vet said bacterial infection and gave a mild antibiotic that I gave her on bread (low dose)
She recovers. Then gets very ill, watery diarrhea and on deaths door. Give her 7 day antibiotic tablet from vets and she recovers to full health, which is when I introduce new rescue hen. she is very happy to have a friend and also very healthy. Then I notice she’s getting weird again! Shaking head, eating less and I see the stringy stuff in poop. Then the worms and we take her to vet. She checks over and says she’s fine! Tests poop and seems ok other than worms. They dont have wormer anyway we have to order it. then the next day she’s worse which is when the vet gives us MORE anti biotics (drops this time)
It’s not helping yet and we can’t worm her till finished. I’m wondering if it’s neurological? Can chickens get that? The vet had no idea on the head shaking. She is hanging in there. Limbs still strong, just the shaking and lethargy and looks sad.
Any ideas?
Help massively appreciated. I’d hate to think she’s in pain and do not want to put her through that if it’s the case.
The other chicken I introduced is very affected by her and does everything she does! so won’t come out either- Even though that one is eating well and generally ok. Hilda- the ill one-was laying until about 10 days ago although the eggs were sometimes wrinkled.
Sorry for long post! Appreciate suggestions

Joanna

Hi Jojo37!

How old is this chicken? I had a hen that had the same problem, and was upwards of 6 years old. My poor hen was just going down hill always just sitting down, and then one day I walked into the chicken coop and found her laying on the ground. I picked her up and put her in a pet carrier, she was in horrible pain she was panting she had diarrhea all over the pet carrier, in a few hours after that she died. If your chicken is panting or seems in distress, you might have to put her down. But what my chicken had could be a totally different thing, and someone else knows what it is and can cure it.

Hi Jojo37!
She’s about 2.
Wow! That’s amazing your hen made it to 6 years old though!
No she doesn’t seem in distress, she’s just withdrawn and standing there. She doesn’t even lie or sit down much really, just stands there And occasionally closes eyes. It really is a mystery. It’s the head shaking I don’t get and the fact her comb is still bright red! Last time she was ill it went pink.

How old is this chicken? I had a hen that had the same problem, and was upwards of 6 years old. My poor hen was just going down hill always just sitting down, and then one day I walked into the chicken coop and found her laying on the ground. I picked her up and put her in a pet carrier, she was in horrible pain she was panting she had diarrhea all over the pet carrier, in a few hours after that she died. If your chicken is panting or seems in distress, you might have to put her down. But what my chicken had could be a totally different thing, and someone else knows what it is and can cure it.
S

Head shaking can be a sign of a respiratory infection or disease, ear mites, or ear infection. Some types of head movements can signs of crop problems or adjustment, or neurological in nature. Posting a shot video to YouTube with a link here would help us see the head shaking. Does she do any rapid swallowing after she shakes her head?

What antibiotic is she taking? I would have wormed her first, and then proceeded with the antibiotic. Worms can damage the intestinal lining, and make it hard to digest nurients from food. Some worms can cause problems breathing and swallowing. Roundworms are the ones we can see in the poop, but there are other types too small to see without a microscope.

I prefer using Valbazen or SafeGuard for worming chickens, since they get most of the different worms. Valbazen dosage is 1/2 ml for an average sized hen, or 3/4 ml for a very large hen or rooster, given orally once and repeated in 10 days. SafeGuard is given 1/4 ml per pound (1.25 ml for a 5 pound chicken) once and repeated in 10 days for most worms. For capillary worms, which can be dangerous, give it for 5 straight days.

Hi,
Many thanks and i will upload a video for sure. The vet seemed to think it was more than worms, and We don’t have any of those wormers here in UK only Flubenvet which you have to order. I gave her a herbal wormer prior to the worms and it obviously didn’t work. I have to finish the antibiotics (7 More days) before I can worm her with Flubenvet but might be hard since it gets given in feed- which she isn’t eating. I should have mentioned, she did the head shake last time she was ill with a viral infection too so I don’t think it’s the worms.

Last edited:
Typically, she didn’t want to do it when I got her out to give her her meds so here is an example though definitely not the most extreme I’ve seen her do. I gave her water by syringe as she hasn’t been drinking but her crop wasn’t empty thankfully. She ate a few blueberries and egg earlier. The antibiotic this time is: Sulfatrim (by Virbac) (16mg/ml + 80mg/ml) she has 0.5ml twice a day for 10 days. Currently on day 4 and she is at least eating better, though she has trouble to pick up the food in beak sometimes with the head flicking. I let her back into pen after her meds and she just went back inside to same position, standing under the roost, staring out.

Last edited:
I would think that the vet could get something for worming to give orally rather than in the food. Flubenvet is good, but she probably won’t get enough unless she is eating normally. Albendazole, the active ingredient in Valbazen, is available around the world under various names. In the UK, most medications have to come from a vet. So I would discuss the wormer, plus, ask for something to directly dose her. We have other BYC members who can help with suggestions.

I don’t see anything remarkable in the video. Is she able to stand and walk around okay, or is she too weak? I would offer some bits of cooked egg, liver, tuna, or ground meat (not all at once, but here and there) in addition to feed mixed with a little water and possibly some plain yogurt for probiotics.

Thank you. Yes that’s the weird thing, other than just standing there and moving a LOT slower, she’s still able to jump up to the coup at night and so is still reasonably strong. Her poop was just like the last time she was ill and she went off food althogether which is why the vet gave her antibiotic as she thought it obviously didn’t kill the illness last time. Her symptoms were similar to the last time other than crop still red. She has slightly improved eating but still withdrawn. Am giving plain yoghurt I’ll try and give her tuna too.
If you have any idea where I can get hold of single dose wormer you mentioned here that would be great as vey didn’t even have Flubenvet, let alone others. They are the only vet in area dealing with chickens and she has been great to be honest every time I’ve brought the chicken in (A lot!) lol

Back
Top Bottom