1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Sick chicken, started with feather loss, then a bad wheezing , some coughing and sneezing

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by F54soccer, Oct 2, 2012.

1. F54soccer

F54soccer New Egg

Oct 2, 2012
    So. Cal.
    Help! My girl started loosing feathers last week. She is about 1 1/2 years old. Thought she might be molting, but my other 2 girls are fine. I was also able to hear her breathing when I got close. Over a few days it got worse. I had increased her protein in her diet. Giving her yogurt. All trying to build her health up. Then On Sunday, she was wheezing loudly, coughing, and sneezing a bit. I noticed she was struggling to get up one time. I panicked! I picked her up, (she is very under weight, no meat at all) and I put her in a cage in the house to keep her from dealing with the heat outside. I started her on Duramycin 10 hoping it was a respiratory illness, but she isn't getting better. Still wheezing, lethargic, which isn't normal, my girls are free range and act like jail birds when caged. Eating and drinking some. I am wondering if is gape worm or something else. Please help if you have any ideas. Otherwise I think she is a gonner. :,-(
    Thanks, Terri

2. F54soccer

F54soccer New Egg

Oct 2, 2012
    So. Cal.
    Oh, I forgot, all my girls have been off their laying for the last few weeks. I have not gotten more than 2 eggs a day.

3. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Wow! I'm stumped! I would have suggested what you have tried and it sure does sound respiratory. Hope someone comes on who has experienced this. Good luck!

4. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    Not all birds will molt at the same time so she could be molting because of the stress she is under, but do check for mites/lice to be sure. Being under weight, I would say maybe worms. Being in a weaken state my have caused the respiratory issue. Duramycin is what I would be doing. Do check for gape worm as well. Some vitamins and electrolytes could help also along with some boiled eggs and meal worms. Good luck

5. F54soccer

F54soccer New Egg

Oct 2, 2012
    So. Cal.
    I did a q tip check for gape worms and got none. She really isn't gaping, so I don't think that is it, but I will worm all my girls when Bea is healthy again. My girl Bea is getting better, only wheezed today when stressed. Her feet feathers are growing back, which I think is a good sign. She has been on Duramycin for 5 days. I am not sure how long to have her on antibiotics. I will try to find a thread with recommendations. Thanks to all you chicken lovers for your help!!
    Terri

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by