sick chicken - "stuff" coming out of the vent

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by nsanywhere, Jan 23, 2010.

1. nsanywhere

nsanywhere Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2010
    I've noticed one of my young hens (astroloupe, hatched spring 09) had lost a few back feathers 2 days ago. Yesterday, I checked on her and found all sorts of milky stuff hanging on the back feathers - looks like drippy poo? She's still active, not as much as my other hens, but she did come out of the coop this morning for corn scratch.

I took this picture this morning. I'm super worried! Should I bring her inside? Leave her alone? My other birds (20 chickens, turkey, ducks, and goose) are all fine, eating, laying, etc.

I've attached a pic, Any ideas would be much appreciated.

[​IMG]

2. Eggcellent

Eggcellent Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2009
    Michigan's Thumb
    Is that blood on the roost part of her poo? If so, I am thinking you are dealing with coccidiosis. It needs to be treated with sulmet. I am dealing with it myself right now (I think)

3. FortWorthChicks

FortWorthChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2009
    Fort Worth
    Looks like blood on that board...

4. nsanywhere

Jan 8, 2010
    yes, I think that's blood on the roost, but I'm not 100% on who it came from.

I've never had anything like this in my chickens before so I'm a bit concerned. Can cocci be cured?? Should I quarantien this chicken, or assume its in all my chickens? Is the medication just put in the water?

Should I clear out all the bedding in the pen and start fresh? (I usually add layers of hay and pine shavings through winter)

Are the eggs still safe to eat? All other chickens are laying like crazy.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2010
  5. Fluffy-Butt-Farms

Fluffy-Butt-Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2009
    Central Florida
    you need to get corid or sulmet and treat immediately. with that much blood, it doesn't matter who it came from, your time is limited, and at this point, if they are all in together, the chances are they all hve it.

i had cocci with younger chickens and it wiped out 1/2 my flock.

good luck.

6. nsanywhere

Jan 8, 2010
    Update on my girl - she's better!!! Yippee! Seems all my fuss was unnecessary. Whew.

I brought her in last night, gave her a warm bath with epsom salts and had a look/feel around. She's very active and strong, so I ended up with much of the filthy water on me! Anyway, no egg bound, no prolapse, no blood, etc. She pooped normal while in the bath, so I just soaked her for a bit, toweled off, and put neosporin on her back (seems she is a favorite of the roos :-(

She spent the night in the house in a cage with a nice straw bed, food and water. I watched her closely, but she was just fine. This morning I found her up and about, pooping normal but just messy on the feathers. Cleaned her up and took her back out to the coop and she was thrilled to be back.

SO, alls well that ends well for this lucky hen.

Thanks to all for the advice and quick responses!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by