sick chicken success story

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by twinflyer, Feb 18, 2015.

1. twinflyer

twinflyer New Egg

Feb 18, 2015
    This is my first post on this site or any other. I wanted to take a few minutes and share my recent success story with our flock.
    My family started raising chickens about 8months ago. We have been through hopefully most of the newby mistakes. Loosing chickens to predators, etc. But recently we noticed a few birds becoming lethargic and dying within a couple of days. Then we noticed many of the flock coughing and sneezing. I immediately ran to google and started searching. There are tons of answers out there on what may or may not bee wrong many I found to be the doomsday type scenario. Diseases I can't even pronounce. I was also frightened with the fear of culling my entire flock. Things got even scarier once two hens eyes swelled shut and were extremely puffy, with lots of nasal drainage. I mistakingly culled the first hen thinking I was protecting the rest of my flock. With the second one I decided to take matters in to my own hands.
    Short back story me and my family eat Organics and avoid doctors at all cost. we find most common illnesses can be treated with herbs and silver.
    With the second Hen I decided to separate her from the flock and get her warm. ( this happened in the middle of a Tennessee winter ) We brought here in the house and made a plan. This is what we did. With a Dropper we gave here three doses a day of Ionic Silver. 2 times a day with two drops of Oil of Oregano. 3 times a day we gave here water via the dropper, and twice a day we fed her with a dropper such things as egg yokes and yogurt. She was not eating and drinking on her own. Figuring out how to force the food and water down her throat was a interesting learning experience. All credit goes to my wife on that one. Three days later her condition seemed to be improving, and on the fifth day she has started eating and drinking on here own. In a couple more day we plan to release her back with the rest of the flock.
    The rest of the flock has been receiving both ionic silver, and Apple Cider Vinegar Daily. Not at the same time.
    I hope this encourages others not to give up on there flock no matter what the illness may be. And to explore the alternatives to man made medicine.

2. twinflyer

twinflyer New Egg

Feb 18, 2015
    Day 1

[​IMG]
    Day5
    [​IMG]

3. cavemanrich

cavemanrich Overrun With Chickens

Apr 6, 2014
    Melrose Park Illinois
    GREAT ............. YOU ARE JUST BEING THE DOCTOR IN THIS CASE. Glad to hear success.
    OH YES [​IMG]

4. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! It's great that you were able to save your hens.

5. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    [​IMG] I'm glad you joined our "flock!"

Great job saving your hen!

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    It's nice to hear a good ending

7. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC!

8. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]I'm glad you joined us.

I'm glad to hear that you saved your hen!

9. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

Congrats on saving your lovely hen! That sure is something to celebrate![​IMG]

10. twinflyer

twinflyer New Egg

Feb 18, 2015
    Thank you all

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by