sick chicken, unknown cause

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by jasncab1477, Oct 29, 2011.

1. jasncab1477

jasncab1477 New Egg

Oct 29, 2011
    i have just started raising 3 hens. today is 10/29 and i will have them for 3 weeks on 10/30
    i was told the hens are 9 months old. 1 got sick last week i thought she was trying to lay an egg and did not after 1/2 a week went by and no egg she started showing signs of not feeling good by last tuesday i took her to the vet they dont know what is wrong with her but put her on antibiotics and doing tube feeding i have since kept her away from the other 2. the vet took an xray and said there are no eggs inside her. she is still sick and also on worm meds. i find bugs in the garden for her to eat since she will not eat any chicken food or water. i give her water by syringe a few drops at a time but she is not showing much improvement. i dont know what else to do. i ust keep her warm and quite and on the days its not rainy or cold i will take her out to the yard to look for bugs. she finds a few slugs and nibbles the grass. the other 2 so far seem to be ok. no eggs yet but they seem to be trying. i got them laying food and mix some seed with corn in it. they also get to scratch in the yard and find bugs, along with any veggie scraps we throw out. they love grapes and tomato..

does any body have some word of advice on what to do? i dont want to loose a chicken, egg layer or not.
    thank you

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I know you are keeping her separate to try to help, but chickens are flock animals and do not do well alone. She might actually do better with her flock. I wish I had an idea for you other than this. Good luck.

3. jasncab1477

jasncab1477 New Egg

Oct 29, 2011
    Thank you. For the well wishes. This hen/sherry, passed away Dec 25 2011.one of her other sisters got sick April of 2012 couldn't walk and had fluids gushing from her mouth. After a couple weeks of not getting better i had her put down.now it 6/24/2013 and 1 hen left out of The 3.She's very under weight but seems to be doing ok. She lays eggs every now and then, last week she laid an egg and it had like a plug coming out of the shell. We pulled it out and it almost looked like it was trying to form a chick. I have no roosters. When we pulled the plug and the tissue came out it was almost blackish brown we don't eat her eggs and don't feed them to the chickens. Any idea what maybe causing it?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by