Sick Chicken? Update. #3

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Wheels, Sep 25, 2010.

1. Wheels

Wheels Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2010
    Milledgeville GA.
    I have a 22 week old BR pullet. She is just laying around. She will go from the coop to the pen and just lay down. She wil only get up if another pullet come over and peck her or step on her. She will drink water if I put in front o her. Not eatting at all. She has not lost any feathers and her vent look clear. No blood in stood. She have not loss weight yet. Have been treated for coccidiosis. Should I take her out and put her in another pen?

Last edited: Oct 3, 2010
  2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    yes you need to get her away from the others, chickens can be awfully mean especially if one is down. It might be a good idea to isolate her from the rest of the flock too just in case it's catching. Try giving her some plain yogurt and also scrambled eggs too. She needs water most of all but just dribble it on the side of her beak she'll get it into her mouth. also baby vits. w/o iron might help too. Hope she feels better soon . let us know how she does.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2010
  3. Wheels

Feb 25, 2010
    Milledgeville GA.
    Thanks Miss Lydia. I will post back to let you know how she is doing.

4. Wheels

Feb 25, 2010
    Milledgeville GA.
    She is drinking and eating. She is still not moving unless you make her move. She is having black stood. I also put her in a cage by herself. This really got me puzzled because everything else looks nomal. She is very alert. Repond to movement and sound. I can pet her and pick her up.

5. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    okay go to search at the right hand top of page and type in chicken poop you see a link to byc not the ads by google but the first byc link click it on you get all the types of chicken poop see which you have then let me know okay.

6. Wheels

Feb 25, 2010
    Milledgeville GA.
    OK I got her over to the vet today. He said she had an infection. He gave her some ora antibotics. He said give her sypurp mix with antis.
    He said its a 50/50 chance she would make it. Please pray for her.
    He say I needed to get her there soon as I see her down and showing the same signs as before.
    I really feel bad about this pullet. I feel like I let her down. These chickens are the frist pets I have ever owned. We always live in apartments when I was growing up. I was 51 when I got them Turn 52 on Sept 21. I spent 30 years of my adult life in serving my country. My point is these chickens mean the world to me. I am 100% service conected diable vet. My chickens give me something to be responsible for. My son made my coop acessisable. I had a walk way pour form the house to the coop. I love it very much. I had a friend who said its only one you have 30 more, I said I care for one as much as I do the other. Sorry about my ranting.

7. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    you have done all you can now, I will pray and hope that she pulls through. Are you also treating the others? Thank you for your service to our country. My husband is also a vet with 60% disability. I understand your feelings about these little friends we have, they really get to your heart. Hang in there

8. Wheels

Feb 25, 2010
    Milledgeville GA.
    Thank you Miss Lydia for your suport, help. and great aadvice. She is still living and seem to be perking up. Keeping finger cross and still praying.

9. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Thankful to hear she still hanging in and seems perky. Seems they can come back pretty quick. hopefully by days end you'll really see a difference.

10. Wheels

Feb 25, 2010
    Milledgeville GA.
    She has fully recover and is doing excellent. Thanks for all prayers. We have name her Miracle.
    Just need to know how long will the antibiotics be in her system? Will she go back to laying?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by