1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Sick Chicken:( Urgent!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by janeen128, Dec 6, 2013.

1. janeen128

janeen128 New Egg

Dec 6, 2013
    New member here! I didn't even know this site existed, but thanks to someone on the Goat Spot forum they lead me to here, because I have a very sick chicken.

About a month ago I lost a barred rock to the same thing. No one else appears or acts sick. This morning I noticed one of my RIR was kind of hunched up, but when I entered the the coop she perked up and began eating with the rest. I went out to let them out to browse, and she didn't even make it to the door:( I live in Western WA and we are having very cold weather, as most of our nation is. I got a box, put hay in it, and brought her inside and put her by the fire. I went to go take care of goats and sheep, and put them in the barn. I came in and I gave her 24 ml of electrolyte mix. She is hunched over, and nothing else is obvious. Advice anyone? Oh, and it's not old far she will be a year in February. Thanks:)

2. TTracy

TTracy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2013
    Western Michigan
    Is there anything else you can tell us? How does her poop look? Have you checked her crop, is it full, hard or soft feeling? Do you know if she has laid an egg today or yesterday? Have you wormed her?
    The one you lost a month ago, did she have any other symptoms?
    Unforuntaly there are so many different things it could be, the more detail you can give the better.

3. janeen128

janeen128 New Egg

Dec 6, 2013
    Not sure who has layed eggs unfortunately. The crop feels fine. Her bum has some goop, but not a lot. She hasn't pooped since I brought her in. I wormed with fir meadows on Sunday, Monday, Tues of this week. I did give her a shot of LA 200 as per a friend at TGS forum. Someone also suggested cyenne (?) pepper, not sure how much. Thanks!

4. TTracy

Aug 8, 2013
    Western Michigan
    Whenever I'm not sure, I go to my "go to" Scramble an egg,add some pedilyte and serve. Maybe you could give her some plain yogurt to help reestablish the good bacteria in her gut? Will you give another shot after the three day period?

5. janeen128

janeen128 New Egg

Dec 6, 2013
    I tried a scrambled egg, and she didn't touch it yet. She did eat a little this morning and she is a little but more alert then before. I have been taking a needle syringe w/o the needle and drenching her with fluids.. I think I'll mix probiotics in with that. I will do that again in a few hours.

So if she improves I still give her another shot? Someone on the TGS forum said at 48 hours.

Thank you! I just don't know what this is....

6. TTracy

Aug 8, 2013
    Western Michigan
    Good idea with the fluids and probiotics!
    I thought that the antibiotic was a 3 day one, thats the only reason why I asked about it.

7. janeen128

janeen128 New Egg

Dec 6, 2013
    Well, she has gone DOWN HILL I'm pretty sure she won't make it through the night. My consolation is that I tried, and I won't find her all freezing outside. I will be getting some corrid to add to my animal health collection, for the chickens, incase it was coccidia, but again no bloody poop. I'm hoping I won't loose anymore.

8. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
  9. TTracy

Aug 8, 2013
    Western Michigan
    So sorry! Did she pass?

10. janeen128

janeen128 New Egg

Dec 6, 2013
    Yeah, she passed about an hour after I posted. Thanks for your help.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by