Sick Chicken very skinny, pale legs, some mucus, and diarrhea

Nickey1994

In the Brooder
Jun 23, 2017
About two weeks ago I brought home two Rhode Island Red sisters who hadn't laid any eggs yet. From the first day one of the hens had a lot of mucus and sneezing and eye mucus. Since these are my first chickens I am not experienced in caring for them medically. I bought VetRx which was recommended to me on here. It has helped a lot with the mucus but her legs are still very pale and she is extremely skinny, her breast bone sticks out a lot. She also has very watery diarrhea. She eats and drinks normally. Her sister who has always been with her is perfectly healthy. I am at a loss as to what this can be.

About two weeks ago I brought home two Rhode Island Red sisters who hadn't laid any eggs yet. From the first day one of the hens had a lot of mucus and sneezing and eye mucus. Since these are my first chickens I am not experienced in caring for them medically. I bought VetRx which was recommended to me on here. It has helped a lot with the mucus but her legs are still very pale and she is extremely skinny, her breast bone sticks out a lot. She also has very watery diarrhea. She eats and drinks normally. Her sister who has always been with her is perfectly healthy. I am at a loss as to what this can be.
How old are the hens? You might want to try Tetracycline, also called Penicillin. That would help if the hen was sick. Also, make sure your hen is getting oyster shell and, if it is eating anything other than grains, grit.

It could be a combo of a respiratory issue, and worm overload. I'd keep them separate from your existing flock, de-worm them and then consider taking them to a vet to get the respiratory issue diagnosed. If that's not an option then antibiotics and vitamin supplements are about the best you can do (antibiotics will not cure the problem if it's viral, but will help with secondary infections). Just sharing what I would do in your situation - dispatch them immediately.

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

The chickens are fully feathered and could lay any day now only one is sick and they have been together since birth. They were introduced to a bantam the day I got them. The other two chickens are perfectly healthy. Gaining weight and very active. The sick one eats and drinks as much as the others just not as active.

I just wanted to correct a post above. Tetracycline and penicillin are not the same thing, but are 2 different antibiotics. Feed stores in the US no longer carry tetracycline except in an injectable form, as well as penicillin. A better antibiotic, Tylan 50 injectable, which can also be give orally, can be found at feed stores, and is better for treating bacterial respiratory diseases. It would treat symptoms of mycoplasma (MG) which may or may not be what is ailing your new pullet. Only testing or a necropsy after death can confirm what disease you are seeing. Clean the runny eye with saline or water. Some use Terramycin ointment in the eye if there is infection.

Back
Top Bottom