Sick Chicken W/Pale Comb, Diarrhea, Heavy Weight Loss

jennyniesy

Hatching
Jul 29, 2015
Hello I am new to the thread and am hoping I can get some help. I have a very sick Brahma hen, she is 8 months old. I went out to the coop the other day and noticed diarrhea on her under feathers. When I went over to look at her she was very pale, her face, comb and waddles. I picked her up and she is severely underweight. She normally does not let me touch her and did not try to fight or move. She was also very cold.

I brought her into the house and have since force fed her electrolyte water with vitamins and have force fed her cooked egg yolk. The first day her stool was a very hard small ball, now after almost a week of being in the house it is like water. Clear with a little green and white, not much. She is still not eating or drinking. All she does is sleep, I force her to wake up so I can feed her.

I have ordered Rooster Booster to de-worm her, but am not sure if that is the problem. I also need to de-worm 1 chicken not my whole flock (at least for now). Do I give her a few pellets?? Mix it in her water and force it down?? I do not have a vet I can take her to so I figured I'd start with the de-worming.

She also gasps for air at times but I do not hear her lungs crackling at all. I did check her for being egg bound and she is not. She does not have lice or mites and I see no injuries on her. I have checked her numerous times and even gave her a bath to see if I could see bugs in the water, there was nothing.

I know it is not looking good for her but I am not willing to give up on her!

It wouldn't hurt to worm her and treat for coccidiosis with Corid.. Not sure if Rooster Booster wormer is effective though. Does she have any snot or discharge coming from her eyes?

No, no discharge from eyes or nose. Can I worm her and treat her with Corid at the same time?

Hello I am new to the thread and am hoping I can get some help. I have a very sick Brahma hen, she is 8 months old. I went out to the coop the other day and noticed diarrhea on her under feathers. When I went over to look at her she was very pale, her face, comb and waddles. I picked her up and she is severely underweight. She normally does not let me touch her and did not try to fight or move. She was also very cold.

I brought her into the house and have since force fed her electrolyte water with vitamins and have force fed her cooked egg yolk. The first day her stool was a very hard small ball, now after almost a week of being in the house it is like water. Clear with a little green and white, not much. She is still not eating or drinking. All she does is sleep, I force her to wake up so I can feed her.

I have ordered Rooster Booster to de-worm her, but am not sure if that is the problem. I also need to de-worm 1 chicken not my whole flock (at least for now). Do I give her a few pellets?? Mix it in her water and force it down?? I do not have a vet I can take her to so I figured I'd start with the de-worming.

She also gasps for air at times but I do not hear her lungs crackling at all. I did check her for being egg bound and she is not. She does not have lice or mites and I see no injuries on her. I have checked her numerous times and even gave her a bath to see if I could see bugs in the water, there was nothing.

I know it is not looking good for her but I am not willing to give up on her!

Hi there how's your hen doing? I had a hen with these same symptoms. is it at all possible she got into moldy or wet feed/grain or scratch? I highly recommend starting an antibiotic immediately along with continued electrolytes and probiotics. You may need to tube her to ensure she's getting the proper amount of water. My hen did this at the time of molt so her immune system was already down and she found old grain. The person you should talk to about tube feeding her is Kathy. I'll get you her info if you'd like.

Yes, please! I am willing to try anything! She could have gotten into moldy food on the ground. After I found her sick I went out and thoroughly cleaned the coop and run area and did find some mushy food under and around their outdoor feeder. Where would I get an antibiotic? Is that what Corid is that Hholly suggested?

She did drink quite a large amount of water on her own yesterday, which to me is a huge milestone because I have not seen her eat or drink for at least 5 days. I have been force feeding her and making her drink water by squirting it in her beak with a syringe.

I have the same issue with a 10 month old sex link. I came in here looking for ideas. She seems ok, but has poopy butt, pale comb and very underweight. Do we think she needs worming? Could it be anything else?

Back
Top Bottom