Sick Chicken - weight loss and lethargic.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Gtinlin, May 24, 2019.

1. Gtinlin

Gtinlin Hatching

May 24, 2019
    Hi, I’m new to the forum. I have 3 isa brown cross white leghorn hens (princess layer, Gerty and hen solo) and they are about 2 1/2 years old.

Princess Layer has become very sick and I have no idea what’s wrong. She just went through a moult and her feathers have all mainly come through again. She is lethargic and very slow moving or not moving and all she either just stands or lies down. She isn’t using her roost, her comb has shrunk and she has lost a lot of weight (her breast bone is protruding like a centimetre and a half) and she isn’t eating or drinking.

WolfGirlMagic likes this.
  2. WolfGirlMagic

WolfGirlMagic Songster

Nov 9, 2017
    First, I would bring her inside and keep her warm.
    Give her some sugar water for energy.
    She could potentially have a heavy worm load?
    How is her crop? Smelly or not emptying?
    Is she breathing alright? Any wheezing?
    I would honestly consider tube feeding her.
    Poultry nutridrench is invaluable! I would definitely buy that if she is off feed.

3. DianeB

DianeB Songster

Mar 12, 2009
    Sometimes moults can be hard on chickens. Are there any other symptoms? How is her droppings?

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Enabler

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Welcome to BYC. Are you located in the UK or where? Do you have electrolytes that you could give her orally? I would offer some wet chicken feed, some cooked egg or tuna. Vitamin B complex 1/4-1/2 tablet daily or some chicken vitamins would be good as well. My hens tend to lose a little weight during a molt, but if she is thin, it could be something serious, such as a crop disorder, cancer, or a reproductive problem. Can you feel her crop and describe if it is empty and flat, full, soft, puffy or hard?

5. Gtinlin

Gtinlin Hatching

May 24, 2019
    Hi I'm in Australia. Her crop is soft/squishy and last night it was empty/flat but this morning it was puffed out (not hard and full with seed but it was expanded like normal). She is a little more lively today after having her resting inside but still very skinny and not eating/drinking like normal. Her poos are small sometimes watery but there was a formed black one this morning. Her breathing is normal and nothing is unusually smelly. I got a wormer for her which she hates and doesn't drink. She is just very sleepy and lost weight and has a peck every now and again but I wouldn't call it eating.

6. WolfGirlMagic

WolfGirlMagic Songster

Nov 9, 2017
    Hmm
    These guys can be tricky...
    Like I said, tube feeding might be a good idea, or at least providing extra vitamins and more tempting food.
    I agree with trying to get her electrolytes and wet food.
    Does she feel like she might be feverish? A fever MAY coincide with some type of infection brewing somewhere.
    In that case I might be tempted to try injectable penacillin.
    Penicillin saved two of my own birds who became paralyzed (couldn't even move their beak)
    I'm by no means an expert, so perhaps someone has better questions to ask to figure out what might be wrong.

7. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Enabler

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Crop problems can occur by themselves or secondary to other problems, especially reproductive problems which can put pressure on internal organs.

WolfGirlMagic likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: