sick chicken! what should i do?! HELP!!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by silky_3699, Aug 15, 2011.

1. silky_3699

silky_3699 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2011
    My Own Realm!!!
    i have a chicken and i have no idea whats wrong with it. one of its eyes have pussy stuff on it. it dosent look like its in pain but i really feel for the poor thing. i have no idea what to do. it seems that it is also slowly covering its eye:( HELP PLZZZZZ!!!

2. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Enchanted Sunrise Farms Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    If you don't have any other symptoms like a runny nose, lethargy, breathing problems, then it's probably just an infected eye. You can rinse it with normal saline solution then put terramycin ointment in the eye. You should do this twice a day until healed. Terramycin is an antibiotic opthalmic ointment. You can find it at some feed stores, pet stores, or online.

3. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    Quote:X2 and [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Louisiana!!

4. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    [​IMG] and [​IMG] from Ohio. So glad you joined. I have to agree as well. If other symptoms appear, then you will need to get some antibiotics in the water. [​IMG]

5. Skitz

Skitz Skitz15k

Nov 11, 2008
    Texas
    Wow! poor thing! I suggest you to post on the emergencies forum! Good luck [​IMG] and Welcome to BYC!

6. FeatheredObsessions

FeatheredObsessions Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2010
    Oregon
    WELCOME!

[​IMG]

7. Desert Rooster

Desert Rooster El Gallo Del Desierto

Sep 4, 2010
    Hesperia, Ca
    Hello [​IMG] from Hesperia,CA and [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. BigIslandChicks

BigIslandChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2010
    Aloha and [​IMG] from Hawaii! [​IMG] good luck with your sickie chicken [​IMG] - youll find great info and advice here! like Skitz said - the Emergency thread might be better to get you some more answers and advice. [​IMG]

9. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    [​IMG] Hello and welcome to BYC! So sorry for your chick. Polyvisol infant vitamins without iron, antibiotics(tylan or amoxicillian), and probiotics(probios) is what I would treat. Separate the sick chick from the others. Keep the chick calm in a separate cage with food and water. When my chick was sick, I added a couple drops to the beak twice a day or you can add 1ml per quart of water. Good luck!

10. greymane

greymane Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Snyder County, PA
    [​IMG] from the Finger Lakes of New York! Sorry to hear about your sick girl. Best of luck and I hope she has a speedy recovery. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by