1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Sick chicken with decended neck

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by bgrantalasykes, Oct 6, 2013.

1. bgrantalasykes

bgrantalasykes Out Of The Brooder

Jun 2, 2013
    Hello, yesterday I found my small male brahma crouching his neck, it seemed unusual as he was walking around and now feeling it is curved. He is now very sick today, he would not leave the roost and wont eat anything. his neck is not twisted to the top of his head like in pictures of wry neck. I believe he may die today if he doesn't get any help. Also please let me know if it sounds like something contagious. I picked him up he has also lost a fair amount of weight.

2. bgrantalasykes

Jun 2, 2013
    I actually just went to check on him again and he died within 15minutes of this post. He showed symptoms yesterday and by this morning he was gone. Please still let me know if you have any ideas and if I should worry about the rest of my flock. He had a very close companion and if there is anything contagious about that she'll have it.
    Thanks

3. Michael Apple

Michael Apple Overrun With Chickens

Mar 6, 2008
    Northern California
    I'm sorry about your rooster. How old was he? There are a couple diseases which could have caused this and the symptoms you described. Some are seen earlier in life, and others later in life.

4. bgrantalasykes

Jun 2, 2013
    He was approximately 5 months, but I think the Brahmas mature more slowly than other breeds. Also, my flock is free range they have access to acres of grazing land, so nutrition shouldn't be a concern I don't think.

5. Michael Apple

Mar 6, 2008
    Northern California
    I'm suspecting limberneck (botulism). It is caused by toxins or poisons by a germ called Clostridium Botulinum. After a couple hours of a chicken ingesting spoiled food, decaying meat, or maggots containing the toxin, the signs can be nervousness, weakness, sleepy, loss of appetite, difficulty swallowing, progressive paralysis of the neck, wings, and legs. During the final stages the bird may lay on the ground, neck stretched out and unable to lift it off the ground, or away from its body. The feathers become loose and pull out easily.

The only treatment I know of for it is 1 tablespoon of Epsom Salts in a half cup of water as a mixed solution. It has to be gradually tube fed, or syringe fed, down the bird's throat twice a day for 2-3 days. The best thing to do is prevent it by not allowing access to moist, spoiled feed or meats. A clean yard should be maintained, (no rotting debris, stagnant water, etc.)

If botulism isn't the case, it could be neurological or something viral like LT (Laryngotracheitis). There is much respiratory distress with LT though, and bloody mucous from the mouth is commonly seen. If you can get the bird bagged and in the refrigerator, call up one of the local NPIP labs and ask them if they can do a necropsy. It does no good for me to give you the link since the USDA site is down due to the supposed "government shutdown". I hope that helps.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2013
  6. bgrantalasykes

Jun 2, 2013
    Thank you for your reply Michael Apple, it sounds like it could've been botulism. He didn't seem to have any issues the day before other than the neck thing but he still had good mobility, he didn't seem weak or nervous, but this morning he had all the signs of the final stages you mentioned. Could it have happened that quickly if he ate something contaminated the night before? Also his feathers didn't seem to pull out easily (not that I tried to really). We are new to this and could definitely be more careful about what our chickens eat, so this was quite the wake up call. He had a very nice temperament and liked to be held, so I'm sad it had to be with him :(. Thank you for the advice.

7. Michael Apple

Mar 6, 2008
    Northern California
    You're welcome. Excuse a few spelling errors I went back and corrected. I was in a hurry to get back to work. Many of us have been faced with the same circumstances. I once lost a very special rooster to what appeared to be a heart attack, so I know how it feels. There's no end to learning how to better care for our birds and keep them healthy.

8. Michael Apple

Mar 6, 2008
    Northern California
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2013
  9. bgrantalasykes

Jun 2, 2013
    Michael apple my roosters "girlfriend" now has a limp wing! They were very good buddies and probably ate the same, she is a pullet just under 6 months..... im just having the hardest time with my brahmas! The ones i love and tend to seem to be sick, i should mention her eye was swollen for 3 weeks about 1week ago and is fine now.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2013
  10. bgrantalasykes

Jun 2, 2013
    Heres a photo, i just noticed today... i dont thonk its broken shes flying and otherwise hasno obvious pain[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by