Sick chicken with respiratory symptoms

Jhunt

In the Brooder
Dec 9, 2020
Can someone please help diagnose my chicken? For several days, my ISA brown has been lethargic and showing respiratory distress. As soon as I noticed it, I quarantined her and have been trying to cover all the bases. Gave her some vetrx in case it was respiratory but I haven’t noticed any rattling. So then I moved to being egg bound because she just went through a terrible molt and I’m sure she needed calcium. (She is standing with her butt really low) I gave her an Epsom salt bath and olive oil in her vent as well as putting oyster shell in her feed. I’ve been putting the olive oil on periodically but she still seems to be panting and doesn’t want to move much. She is still eating alright and I am syringe feeding her sugar water with electrolytes. What could this be? She is still pooping so I guess she’s not egg bound? Help! Thanks!

Last edited:
What symptoms is she displaying that makes you think is respiratory?
Adding oyster shell to the feed is a no no , you always want to offer it on the side, free choice. Oyster shell is just a supplement and will do nothing to help an egg bound hen. An egg bound hen will stand upright like a penguin and pulsate it’s tail up and down as if it’s constipated.
Is she having difficulty breathing? Are her eyes or face swollen with discharge coming out of the eyes? Have you checked her crop?

The only respiratory symptoms is really just labored breathing. From what you are saying, she probably is not egg bound. No swelling or discharge. She is just closing her eyes like she is exhausted. I haven’t noticed an odor from her crop. I did notice a little rattling after I gave her some water from the syringe. Do you think it could be a crop issue? If so what’s the best way to check the crop?
Impacted crop happens before sour crop; when the crop becomes impacted and fold cannot get down into the stomach, it piles up and ferments in the crop aka sour crop. In the meantime, remove food and water overnight. In the morning, before she has eaten or drank anything, check to see if the crop is flat and empty. They empty overnight so a full crop in the morning is not a good sign. Let us know -
In the meantime separation is key so you can keep an eye on symptoms.

Impacted crop happens before sour crop; when the crop becomes impacted and fold cannot get down into the stomach, it piles up and ferments in the crop aka sour crop. In the meantime, remove food and water overnight. In the morning, before she has eaten or drank anything, check to see if the crop is flat and empty. They empty overnight so a full crop in the morning is not a good sign. Let us know -
In the meantime separation is key so you can keep an eye on symptoms.
Thank you!!! I’ve taken food and water out and will see what the morning brings. I hope that’s all it is because it would be a relatively easy fix!

Thank you!!! I’ve taken food and water out and will see what the morning brings. I hope that’s all it is because it would be a relatively easy fix!
Keep us updated and good luck! And as eggcessive stated above, update us on all symptoms it can be further narrowed down

Can someone please help diagnose my chicken? For several days, my ISA brown has been lethargic and showing respiratory distress. As soon as I noticed it, I quarantined her and have been trying to cover all the bases. Gave her some vetrx in case it was respiratory but I haven’t noticed any rattling. So then I moved to being egg bound because she just went through a terrible molt and I’m sure she needed calcium. (She is standing with her butt really low) I gave her an Epsom salt bath and olive oil in her vent as well as putting oyster shell in her feed. I’ve been putting the olive oil on periodically but she still seems to be panting and doesn’t want to move much. She is still eating alright and I am syringe feeding her sugar water with electrolytes. What could this be? She is still pooping so I guess she’s not egg bound? Help! Thanks!
20201204_10372515.jpg

What symptoms is she displaying that makes you think is respiratory?
Adding oyster shell to the feed is a no no , you always want to offer it on the side, free choice. Oyster shell is just a supplement and will do nothing to help an egg bound hen. An egg bound hen will stand upright like a penguin and pulsate it’s tail up and down as if it’s constipated.
Is she having difficulty breathing? Are her eyes or face swollen with discharge coming out of the eyes? Have you checked her crop?
The only respiratory symptoms is really just labored breathing. From what you are saying, she probably is not egg bound. No swelling or discharge. She is just closing her eyes like she is exhausted. I haven’t noticed an odor from her crop. I did notice a little rattling after I gave her some water from the syringe. Do you think it could be a crop issue? If so what’s the best way to check the crop?

Pictures may help? Describe her respiratory symptoms please.
Here is a picture of our Ginger. Really her only respiratory symptom is labored breathing. When I gave her some water it seemed to gurgle a little.

Attachments

• BD44BB6E-4DFD-4A78-9B1E-52465E7F4ABD.jpeg
    BD44BB6E-4DFD-4A78-9B1E-52465E7F4ABD.jpeg
    519.9 KB · Views: 6
Labored breathing can mean a number of things, it doesn’t always mean a respiratory disease. Have you checked to see if she’s egg bound? Did an egg possibly break inside of her?

Back
Top Bottom