SICK CHICKEN: YELLOW COMB and PARALYZED LEGS

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by lasasj, Jan 29, 2014.

1. lasasj

lasasj Out Of The Brooder

Feb 8, 2013
    One of our chickens appears to be in pain. We let our chickens free during the day and last night when I put them inside I counted one less. I looked around the coop and our chicken was squawking as if in pain. I noticed her one leg appeared crooked/limp. I also noticed her comb is yellow. We brought her inside where it's warm. We're giving her some electrolytes and tlc but I have know idea what's going on. She sounds like she's in pain when we try to touch her. Also, she's only a few months old.

Anyone know what's causing her sickness?

Any suggestions to treat?

Anyone ever have something similar happen? If so, what was the outcome.

Thanks everyone,

Jasan

Last edited: Jan 29, 2014
  2. Jimminy427

Jimminy427 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 14, 2013
    that happened to one of my old hens. the comb for her was caused by not enough water and electrolytes. we brought her in and gave her Gatorade (they make actual chicken electrolytes but Gatorade works) and we had some powder probiotics and that helped. but idk about the leg. im sorry to hear about that

3. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Is her leg twisted or broken?

4. lasasj

Feb 8, 2013
    Her legs do not appear to be broken. It seems like an illness of some sort.

5. seminolewind

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    If she's a few months old, has paralysis, and a yellow comb, my first thought would be botulism, my 2nd thought would be Marek's. I know some people try to treat botulism with some watered down molasses.

1 person likes this.
  6. lasasj

Feb 8, 2013
    Ok. Thank you seminolewind. She doesn't seem very responsive to food or drink, and she's been laying on her side with her wing open now. She was one of four that hatched this fall. The other three seem fine. Hopefully this will get better. I don't have any molasses here, but I'll try to find a similar substitute. Any other suggestions for treatment?

7. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Her being in a lot of pain, and crying out sounds as if she was injured. Could she have been attacked? Are there any marks on her? The limp leg does sound a bit like Mareks disease, except for the pain, but I have never treated Mareks. I would isolate her in a cage where it is warm for the night, and make sure she can get to her food and water. Could you possibly take a a picture or two tomorrow of her leg and her comb?

8. seminolewind

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Yes, a picture would be good. I wonder if the hen is paralyzed or injured? In any case, any supportive care is good. Food water, good treats, warmth.

9. lasasj

Feb 8, 2013
    [​IMG]

We put her inside this morning (in a kennel next to the kitchen radiator).

10. lasasj

Feb 8, 2013
    We've dealt with injuries before on multiple occasions. I think this is a paralysis illness of some sort. New to me. We did introduce new chickens that were given to us about a week or two ago. They have since been separated in a different coop a few hundred feet apart. I'll look a little closer to see if there are any signs of an internal injury...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by