Sick chicken

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by mccampbell, Oct 24, 2015.

1. mccampbell

mccampbell Out Of The Brooder

Apr 17, 2015
    My hen is about 6 months old and I noticed today that she wasn't running around like she usually does and I noticed that her feathers around her butt were covered in poop and that she had a huge lump coming out so I took a paper towel and tried rinsing it off and saw that it looked like her intestines were coming out or something but I don't even know if that is possible

2. PerfectPlumage

PerfectPlumage Chillin' With My Peeps

Could you post a pic?

3. mccampbell

mccampbell Out Of The Brooder

Apr 17, 2015
    [​IMG]

4. PerfectPlumage

PerfectPlumage Chillin' With My Peeps

5. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I agree that it is a prolapsed cloaca. Clean her vent area off with a shallow warm soak. Dry thoroughly. Keep inside where it is warm. Apply lubricant and try to push it back inside, then hold it there for several minutes. Honey, sugar, or Preparation H can be applied to the vent to help reduce swelling, and allowing the prolapse to be put back inside. Do not let the pink skin dry out--keep it lubricated--that is why it is important to push it back inside soon. Any internal tissue that stays out and dries can become necrotic or dead, and will have to be removed. Placing in a dark room or covering her in a cage for 16 hours every night for a few days can help to stop her from laying. Reducing her feed amount or the protein can also help with that.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by