Sick Chicken

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Jaxgal1, Oct 25, 2015.

1. Jaxgal1

Jaxgal1 New Egg

Jul 28, 2014
    Noticed late this afternoon that we have a sick hen. She is a Brown/Red Hen... not exactly sure of breed. We noticed she was not eating like normal when we feed them a treat. She is standing with eyes closed and making low cooing noises. I have not noticed any diarrhea, but have only observed her for a little while now. We have her isolated inside. She is a free range hen, and we are in Central Florida. I tried to feel to see if she was egg bound and didnt notice any lumps but soaked her in Epsom salts and warm water... Now have her under heating light and heating pad on very low. She just seems very lethargic, didn't even really try to get out of the water, but didn't particularly like it. HELP..

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Welcome to BYC. Can you stick a finger inside her vent an inch or two to feel for an egg? Check her crop to see if it is full, empty, soft, or hard. What do her droppings look like--any runny poops or blood? Check her skin for any mite or lice and eggs. Try to get her to drink some vitamins with electrolytes, and a little egg and plain yogurt. If she is under 5 months, she still could possibly have coccidiosis. That is treated with Corid in the water for 5 days--the powder or liquid is available at most feed stores in the cattle aisle. Consider worming her is you haven't already, but wait until she is feeling and eating better.

3. Jaxgal1

Jaxgal1 New Egg

Jul 28, 2014
    HI there. She still does not seem to be drinking or eating. She does seem a tiny bit more active but still stands mostly with her eyes closed. I did check for an egg and none, it was soft and warm but no egg. Her crop seems normal, not swollen or hard (especially since she hasnt eaten since early yesterday evening). I should also mention she is 1.5-2 years old.

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Internal laying can be a problem common with many of the high production hens that are found at many feed stores and hatcheries. The symptoms can vary, but it can strike about that age. If she is starting a molt, they can also act puny. The scrambled egg and electrolytes would help. I also would worm her if she hasn't been wormed recently. Here is some info about internal laying and egg yolk peritonitis:
    http://scoopfromthecoop.nutrenaworld.com/tag/laying-issues/
    http://www.chickenvet.co.uk/health-and-common-diseases/egg-laying-issues/index.aspx
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/526089/egg-yolk-peritonitis

5. Jaxgal1

Jaxgal1 New Egg

Jul 28, 2014
    Thank you for the links. She seems to be doing better this morning. We brought her outside to see how she would act and she immediately went to her laying spot. She has not layed yet, but she is perkier, and has eaten some this morning. We are going to keep an eye on her and do what we can.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by