Sick Chicken

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by jkdubs2, Nov 9, 2015.

1. jkdubs2

jkdubs2 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 29, 2015
    Jefferson County
    Here's the deal. Hen has a distended belly but it's not rigid. I recently watched her poop and it was normal. Her stomach though is so enlarged that she cannot hop up into the hen house and she literally walks duck footed with her bottom side down, but she has been eating and drinking fairly normally. This hen hasn't been egg bound before and I really don't think she is this time because she still wants to get around and scrambles for scratch like all the other hens. Every time I've had a hen egg bound they don't want to move. I can really think of much else but if it's a simple fix I'd like to avoid a vet bill. Let me know.

2. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    How old? Is she laying?

3. Lozuufy

Lozuufy Pigeons are nutty Premium Member

May 20, 2012
    MA/VT
    Sounds maybe like internal laying, I don't know much about that though except that it is very bad

4. jkdubs2

Jan 29, 2015
    Jefferson County
    She is still young enough to lay though getting older. She is secondhand so I'm not sure exact age but I think she's about 3. Would internal laying make her belly soft though. Because it's bloated but not hard anywhere.

5. Jesusfreak101

Jesusfreak101 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2015
    Texas
    My Coop
    Yes it would make her belly solf if she laying internally the egg from my understanding doesnt make it to the shelling department and just lays the membrane yolk and whits inside the hen. It could also be fluid i would take her to the vet only way to know o this really.

6. jkdubs2

Jan 29, 2015
    Jefferson County
    Thanks will do. Appreciate the help

7. Jesusfreak101

Jesusfreak101 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2015
    Texas
    My Coop
    No problem i just hope they can help. From my understanding internal laying is chronic thing so i hope its just a random fluid build up.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by