Sick chicken

codieb

Hatching
Jan 30, 2016
Hi all,

I have a chicken that has gone quiet limp over the past 24hrs. She is only a few weeks old. There were some traces of blood in the brooder but no wounds on the chicken. Is there anything I can do to save her? I have recently lost a chicken from a cat attack & really hope this one has a chance of survival.

Thanks all!

Does she have access to medicated feed, and/ or been exposed to other fowl?

It sounds like coccidiosis... I believe Corid is the best bet for medicating, if that's the case. Coccidiosis is very common, especially in newly established flocks or transfers from infected fowl.

Eta: Most chick starter has a coccidiostat in it, that is, if its labelled "medicated". That's the reasoning behind feeding medicated feed when starting out with new flocks/chicks. So they can gain exposure and build immunity to it via the medicated feed.

Last edited:
Get some Corid and start treating her asap. It is most likely coccidiosis and it is a fast killer. But it can usually be corrected if treatment is started right away. If you get the liquid Corid then you can give her a couple drops in her beak undiluted to get her started, then mix it in her water as usual. You may need to give the medicated water to her with an eyedropper, every couple hours if possible, the first day or so until she starts drinking enough on her own.

There are different strengths to mix the Corid but given that you are seeing blood and she's very lethargic I'd mix it at two teaspoons per gallon of water for the liquid, make it fresh every day and treat for 7 days. If you get the powder add 1 1/2 teaspoons per gallon. Same directions otherwise.

Thanks for the responses guys. We lost her early this morning :( should I treat the other chickens that were with her anyway?
The chickens haven't had any exposure to others yet.

Well they have definitely been exposed to whatever she had, so it wouldn't hurt to at least have it on hand. But she might have just been not as resistant to it as the rest. I've lost a few that just lacked the vitality of her siblings; weaker immune system and cold weather brings them down and culls them for me sometimes, unfortunately.

If anything, I would keep a very close eye on them, and maybe pick up a small bag of medicated starter so if it wasn't cocci, they can go ahead and get exposure so they can build immunity.

If there are no signs of illness in any of the others after a week or so, then you can probably rest a bit easier that they'll be OK.

Do keep a look our for blood in the stools, as that can be the first clue something is amiss.

I'm so sorry you lost her, my condolences :(

Back
Top Bottom