Sick chicken?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by bmbi2685, Jun 17, 2016.

1. bmbi2685

bmbi2685 New Egg

Jun 17, 2016
    I have a White Leghorn, she is about 3 years old. We are in Oklahoma and the heat index was pretty high yesterday. I made sure that they were watered down and had cold water and frozen treats. My leghorn was not herself yesterday afternoon, a little lethargic and somewhat unresponsive. She didn't run away when I came to her. Her comb was droopy and she was making this whining noise. I dunked her twice in a 5 gallon bucket to bring her out of it, but there was little change. She was still the same last night, so I brought her in the house for awhile to cool off. Tried to give her some scratch and water, she refused. She wanted back outside and went into the coop at bedtime. This morning she is a little better, her comb is bright red but still droopy. She has been drinking water this morning and I managed to get her to eat some scrambled eggs, but she is still not herself. Her poop is watery and clear with white in it. Is she still overheated?

2. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Welcome to BYC.

From what you are describing, she may have suffered from heat stress and it can take a few days to recover. You may need to bring her back in to cool quiet place if she doesn't improve.
    It sounds like you are doing what most of us would recommend. You can give electrolytes in the water if you have them to see if that will help her. Hydration is the most important, but she still needs some nutrition. The egg was good, so try some more or mix a little of her feed with water and add the egg to see if she will eat it.

http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/04/beat-heat-helping-chickens-survive-high.html

Poop Chart:
    http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=17568.0

3. bmbi2685

bmbi2685 New Egg

Jun 17, 2016
    Thank you for the help. I will keep on doing what o have been and monitor her.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by