Sick Chicken?

chickenlady04

In the Brooder
Nov 15, 2015
I have a 11 month old free range barred rock hen, she hasn't really been laying eggs. She is also very lethargic and she feels really warm compared to my other hens. She doesn't drink her water either. I think she might be sick but I'm not sure what to do.

Check her droppings. Is there blood? Is she eating? Has she lost weight (I know it's hard to tell with large birds)? Can you possibly take the rectal temp? (should be 105-109.4 degrees Fahrenheit) Try and get fluids in her (sugar water will help with energy temporarily, electrolytes might help, too). By "hasn't really been laying eggs" do you mean she stopped, or that it decreased? Sorry about so many questions, it's always freaky when a chicken might be sick.

Her droppings are yellow or green and runny. She hasn't really been eating and I don't think she has lost weight yet. And she hasn't laid eggs for about 5 days, compared to my other hen that is laying every two days.

Check her droppings. Is there blood? Is she eating? Has she lost weight (I know it's hard to tell with large birds)? Can you possibly take the rectal temp? (should be 105-109.4 degrees Fahrenheit) Try and get fluids in her (sugar water will help with energy temporarily, electrolytes might help, too). By "hasn't really been laying eggs" do you mean she stopped, or that it decreased? Sorry about so many questions, it's always freaky when a chicken might be sick.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom