1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Sick Chicken

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Bridachs, Sep 6, 2016.

1. Bridachs

Bridachs New Egg

Feb 1, 2014
    I was wondering if I could get some advice on a sick chicken...

When we come home in the afternoon, she is usually crumpled up on the ground in a strange position and you assume she is dead until you see her head moving, and once you help her up, she usually poops (was white runny poop...today was clear), and then off she will walk perfectly to the coop and starts eating.

And she had a good night last night and this morning when we let them out of the coop she was acting totally normal and was one of the first ones to dash out....them to come home again this afternoon and she her lying so crumped up is so strange.

We recently lost two other girls to similar circumstances, but they seemed to just go really quick...one you saw they sprawled out, they didn't recover. We have been giving the tetracycline powder in their water for over a week now.

Does anyone have an ideas? She is out there tonight acting totally normal and resting comfortably.

Thanks....

2. ChickenChaser9

ChickenChaser9 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2016
    Coccidiosis and vitamin deficiency are the most likely causes. How old is she? If this is happening with some regularity there may be something making them sick in their bedding. Birds that are that ill should be quarantined for observation so you can isolate what is going into and out of their digestive system.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by