Sick chicken ?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by silkie3190, Sep 9, 2016.

1. silkie3190

silkie3190 Just Hatched

Jun 14, 2016
    Hi have 22 week silkies laying eggs this morning one hen has been acting strange walking slow I pick her up sideways and a lot of clear luqid came out from beak any ideas on what's going on ?

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    I did searches for both of those symptoms. Here is one thread that came back about the clear liquid https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/852328/clear-slimy-liquid-dripping-from-beak
    The sideways walking seems to be something of a mystery with people saying it could be the result of a rough molt, a physical injury, an intestinal issue, etc. You might try typing the key words into the BYC search box and review some old threads. Hope you find out the issue and get her healthy again. God luck.

3. silkie3190

silkie3190 Just Hatched

Jun 14, 2016
    Hi weird thing happened after I posted she made her way to the coop in nest box after 20 min laid an egg then came down and acting very normal again ! That was strange could it be she drank water before laying and I picked her up upside down and water came out?

4. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Most likely walking a bit slow because she was beginning the process of laying her egg. Picking them up in odd ways can cause them to regurgitate water and/or food.

Keep an eye on her since she was taking it slow before her egg. Make sure she has oyster shell free choice. If she continue to act odd, then let us know.

5. silkie3190

silkie3190 Just Hatched

Jun 14, 2016
    Thanks , may I ask about oyster shells , why do they need them ?

6. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Oyster shell is a source of soluble calcium. Even if you feed a layer formula that contains calcium, it is best to offer additional calcium free choice to your laying hens.
    Just place it in a dish in the run or scatter it, they will take what they need.

I offer both oyster shells and baked egg shells to my girls.

http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2013/08/for-strong-eggshells-size-matters.html

7. chickens really

chickens really Chicken Obsessed

That is what I was going to suggest might of happened to her....

Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by