Sick chicken

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by PhyllisS, Oct 1, 2016.

1. PhyllisS

PhyllisS Just Hatched

May 13, 2016
    My chickens are 6 months old. Everything has been going great til yesterday. I'm new at raising chickens. This is my first flock. Yesterday I noticed one girl was laying around. Today she won't get up. She breathing really hard, eyes closed and her head is on the ground. I took her out of the coop and brought her inside. We have no vets in the area that see chickens. Please someone help. I don't know what to do.

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Welcome to BYC. Will she drink for you or take some chopped egg? Can you get some SaveAChick or other brand of electrolytes with vitamins to add to her water? Can you insert a finger 1-2 inches inside her vent to feel for a stuck egg? Egg binding can be very serious if she has a too large egg to pass. Dehydration or a lack of calcium can be a cause of egg binding. If she is weak and puffed up, and having diarrhea, she could possibly have coccidiosis, an intestinal disease. There can be many different causes of illness in chickens, and sometimes giving nutrients and fluids while figuring out the problem, can save a life.

3. PhyllisS

PhyllisS Just Hatched

May 13, 2016
    Thank you you. She passed away shortly after I posted. The other girls look OK so far. Should I medicate the others? What should I do next?

4. Nineplus5

Nineplus5 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 30, 2016
    Western Wa
    Any change? She has been laying?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by