1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Sick chicken

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by choriuchi, Dec 2, 2016.

1. choriuchi

choriuchi New Egg

Dec 2, 2016
    I have 7 chicken in my flock and it seems that I might have 2 sick chickens. They are sneezing but have no discharge from her eyes or nose. They both finished molting and are not not producing eggs.

HELP!!
    Thanks

2. DwayneNLiz

DwayneNLiz ...lost... Premium Member

Jun 18, 2013
    NH
    hi and welcome to BYC

have you looked on their mouth? see if there is any blockage, or grass stuck
    check their choanal slit too

[​IMG]

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Welcome to BYC. Sneezing occasionally can be from dust in the coop or feed. More frequent sneezing could be a sign of a respiratory disease, such as infectious bronchitis, a virus. A clear runny nasal draiange is another sign. If you see worse symptoms, such as gasping, wheezing, foamy bubbles in the eye, or facial swelling, that could be mycoplasma (MG,) coryza, or trach (ILT.). For a virus like bronchitis or ILT, antibiotics are usually not effective, but Tylan and tetracycline drugs are used to treat MG and coryza. Make sure they have good overhead air circulation with windows covered by wire on opposite ends of the coop. No direct drafts on chickens though. Keep bedding dry and free of dust or mold. That can help to prevent respiratory diseases.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by