Sick Chicken

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by bethmikulic, Dec 22, 2016.

1. bethmikulic

bethmikulic Out Of The Brooder

Mar 20, 2015
    Jacksonville, FL
    Hello!! I have had my chickens for about 2 years now. One of the hens I believe was molting and lost a lot of feathers. She wasn't acting herself and limping. I brought her in the house last night and heard her respiratory seems to be a little wheezy. My chickens are very skittish white leghorns. They are free range and sleep up in the rafters of my barn. Any suggestions on what to do to help her? Her poop is liquid with a slight green-tint which is unusual.
    Thanks for any advice in advance!!
    Beth

2. MasterOfClucker

MasterOfClucker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2016
    Iowa
    Any sign of mites/lice?Check under wings and vent.Black dot on bottom of foot?

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    She could have hurt herself from jumping down off her roosting spot. Look at the bottoms of her feet for black scabs of bumblefoot, and check her leg joints for any swelling or bruising. She also may have the beginning signs of a respiratory disease such as mycoplasma, infectious bronchitis, or others. One form of mycoplasma can cause swelling and arrhritis of the joints. Tylan 50 injectable given orally or by injection, 1 ml twice a day for 5 days could help to treat mycoplasma. I would see a vet if possible to seek testing.

4. bethmikulic

Mar 20, 2015
    Jacksonville, FL
    Thank you for your responses. I took her to the vet today and they admitted her for further testing. Hoping she has a speedy recovery.

5. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Please let us know how she gets along, and hoping for a good outcome.

6. bethmikulic

Mar 20, 2015
    Jacksonville, FL
    My hen is doing well and back outside with the other girls! Thanks for everyone's help!

7. Dekthai818

Dekthai818 Just Hatched

Nov 14, 2016
    what was wrong?

8. bethmikulic

Mar 20, 2015
    Jacksonville, FL
    We are not sure. All her blood work came back normal and she had no parasites. What I believe happened is that she hurt her leg flying from the barn rafters and wasn't eating well. She had just finished molting too. She seemed to have a little bacterial infection but it cleared up quickly w antibiotics from the vet. She was in the house for a week and then out during the day and in at night for another week. She still has a minor limp but improving everyday! I'm glad to say that she's almost back to normal!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by