Sick chicken

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ozzie3302, Feb 6, 2017.

1. ozzie3302

ozzie3302 New Egg

Feb 6, 2017
    I have a 3yr old hen. I have recently noticed a sever weight loss and now she has been getting weak in the legs and unstable. She eats and drinks more then the others but still seems to be declining.She has been seperate from the rest for about a week now. No signs of getting better. I have treated her for worms and mites. Any help on what might be the cause and treatment would be helpful.
    Thanks

Last edited: Feb 6, 2017
  2. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Welcome To BYC

What did you use to treat for worms and lice/mites?
    What type of food/treats do you feed?
    When was the last time she laid an egg - was it normal?
    How does her crop feel - is it emptying overnight?
    How does her abdomen feel - any signs of swelling, bloat, fluid filled, etc.?
    What does her poop look like?
    Photos are always helpful.

Separate her if you can so you can monitor her food/water intake, check her crop for proper function and give her poop a look.
    Keep her hydrated and offer some poultry vitamins and extra protein (eggs, tuna, mackerel or meat) in addition to her normal poultry feed.

There can be many causes of weight loss and weakness. Age, disease, parasites, nutritional/vitamin deficiencies and internal laying/reproductive disorders are a few.

Let us know how she is doing.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by