1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Sick chicken

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by gragefarm, Feb 10, 2017.

1. gragefarm

gragefarm Just Hatched

Feb 10, 2017
    Highbridge Wisconsin
    My girl has been sick for a few days I noticed she's been very lethargic and not eating or drinking well it also appears like she's having trouble walking in her feet look like they could be swollen I bring her in and gave her a bath let her soak for a while cuz she did have some poop stuck to her I'm giving her vitamins she will eat if it's in front of her and she will drink if I give her a cup of water I checked and she doesn't feel like she has an egg I checked her Ben but between her legs and her bottom it does feel like she's very hard her crop isn't full so I don't think she has a crop problem I just think she's not eating right now any suggestions would be helpful

2. gragefarm

gragefarm Just Hatched

Feb 10, 2017
    Highbridge Wisconsin
    Ben should be vent. Dumb auto correct

3. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Welcome To BYC.

Can you post some photos of your hen, her legs and feet?
    What type of food/treats do you feed?
    How old is she?

Inspect her hocks, legs and feet (bottom of the foot too) for any signs of injury, cuts or wounds.

Putting the vitamins in her water is a good. Once she is hydrated, see if she will eat her normal feed - you can mix in a little chopped egg or tuna to make it more enticing if you like.

Keep us posted.

4. gragefarm

gragefarm Just Hatched

Feb 10, 2017
    Highbridge Wisconsin
    Thank you so much for the advice I did lose my chicken she just continued to get weaker and weaker. As I said before I did check her to see if she was egg bound and couldn't feel one but her abdomen was very hard I'm wondering if she had cancer.

5. Lucyluvchickens

Lucyluvchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2017
    Dripping Springs, Texas
    It may be Mareks disease, Bumble Foot, infectious stunting syndrome, twisted leg... idk search your symptoms or look up one of the diseases maybe?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by