Sick chicken!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by keehlin, Feb 10, 2017.

1. keehlin

keehlin New Egg

Feb 10, 2017
    Help please!
    I have a Hen... not sure of breed or age.
    She showed up randomly at my house over the summer. Lol.
    Anyways she's staying in the coop all puffed up. She's losing feathers around her neck and her comb and waddle are pale. I locked her in the coop and kept my other 2 chickens in the run. I offered her food and water and she was eating and drinking. First time chicken owner so I'm unsure how to help her! I've heard anything from molting, broody, lice, mites, and worms.. any help narrowing it down would be greatly appreciated!

2. MasterOfClucker

MasterOfClucker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2016
    Iowa
    Bring her inside and put her in a small dog kennel.Offer her eggs and tuna and give her water via Syringe or cupping your hands with water and dip her beak in it(Be carful do small sips at a time).Poultry Vitamins would be great too.Check for lice/mites they are usually found under the wings and vent.How does her breast bone feel?Sharp?How does her crop feel?Are her eyes watery?.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2017
  3. keehlin

keehlin New Egg

Feb 10, 2017
    [​IMG]

She's holding her tail feather down. She's eating and drinking just fine

4. keehlin

keehlin New Egg

Feb 10, 2017
    [​IMG]

5. MasterOfClucker

MasterOfClucker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2016
    Iowa
    Answering my previous questions will help.

6. keehlin

keehlin New Egg

Feb 10, 2017
    So after looking her closer I dint find any sorts of bugs. It looks like all her feathers are in pretty rough shape. She's for sure eating and drinking I watched her. When I took her out of the coop she talked back to me and was making her normal chicken noises just not as loud. She's holding her tail feather down. She pooped on the garage flood and it was runny and tinted green. Breast bone felt normal other then the feathers feeling more pokey and Idk what a croup is?

7. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    The crop is the organ under the right side of the chicken's chest below the neck where she stores her food and water just after eating it. The crop will fill up gradually during the day, then normally empty over night by morning before she eats again. If it does not empty over night it may be not functioning well. If she is around 16-18 months old she may be molting. During that time she may lose feathers, have a pale comb, eat less than normal, and stop laying eggs. Holding her tail down would be abnormal, signs of a sick chicken. Green poops are usuall a sign of not eating enough. Can you feel inside her vent an inch or two just to check if she could be egg bound? Feed some of the high protein foods, and water that MOC recommended. If you can get some droppings checked by a vet, they could look for parasites and coccidiosis.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2017
  8. keehlin

keehlin New Egg

Feb 10, 2017
    [​IMG]

This is a better pic of her feathers. I had my mom come over and hold her so I could get a better one. My mom thinks she just molting. But it makes me nervous she's not acting Normal.

9. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    This looks like motling. The comb will shrink and turn pale. Chickens often feel poorly during this time.

As suggested by previous posters, offer her some extra poultry vitamins and give some extra protein like chopped egg or tuna.

Some hens will isolate themselves from the others during this time, so keep watch on her to make sure she is eating/drinking well. If the other chickens are picking at her, then you can set up a kennel/cage inside the run to place her in. Give her food/water in there.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/what-happens-when-chickens-molt

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by