Sick Chicken

quadbyz4

Hatching
5 Years
May 10, 2014
RIR will be 3 yrs in April. Last few days she's been withdrawn, comb layed over, fluffed. She will run out of the coop and trip and fall. This morning she ran out, trip and fell and stayed down. I picked her up and put her by water and she drank a lot. I put probiotics and electrolytes in their water 2 days ago, also fed her yogurt with sunflower seeds and oatmeal. Brought her in house this morning after she wouldn't get up. She has been sleeping for an hour now. HELP! What do you think it is??

It's hard to say what is wrong, but she may be dehydrated and in need of some food. Keep her in a basket or dog crate inside if possible to make sure that she is warm. Offer some chopped egg, tuna, and her usual feed. Add some of the medicated water to her bowl. Keep an eye on her droppings, and look for any unusual color or diarrhea. Has she been laying eggs? What does she normally eat? Does she seem to see her food and water? Feel of her crop to see if it is empty, full, hard or soft. Look her over for any tiny red bugs (lice or mites.) Have you had any other sick birds recently? Keep us updated on how she is doing here.

She has been drinking the medicated water and food that I made for her like crazy! I made a mash of her regular pellets, spinach, yogurt and sunflower seeds with some egg shell in it. She has had several watery diarrhea and some regular droppings. No discoloration. Very stinky though. Deffinately no lice or mites. Checked for that the first day she was acting weird. What do you mean by her crop??How do I check it? I did have a chicken die 4 or 5 days ago. No symptoms at all. I thought she died because she accidentally got left out of the coop the night before and had her head wedged up under the coop.

Back
Top Bottom