Sick chicken

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by jen2138, Mar 2, 2017.

1. jen2138

jen2138 New Egg

Mar 2, 2017
    This morning I went out to find one of my RIR was laying under where the girls roost covered in poop. She was trying to get up but couldn't. I got her out of the coop and inside our house in a dog kennel. I got her to drink a few drinks of water but nothing else. She can move her head and appears to have no injuries. I am very new to chickens only having them for the past six months. Please help

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Welcome to BYC. How old is your hen? Has she been laying eggs recently? It's possible that she could have fallen off the roost or was hiding under there because she felt bad or was chased. She really needs to drink water and add some electrolytes to it (SaveAChick or other brand, or give her pedialyte or gatorade.) Offer some bits of chopped egg, and add water to a small bowl of chick feed to make it soupy Feel of her crop under her neck right side of her chest, to see if it is empty, full, soft or firm. examine her breastbone for weight loss. Feel of her lower belly for fullness or tightness. Insert a finger into her vent an inch or so to check for a stuck egg (you should feel nothing.) Look her skin over around and under her vent for tiny bugs or signs of lice and mites. If you lift her up, can she stand or walk at all?

3. jen2138

jen2138 New Egg

Mar 2, 2017
    She is 16 months old. She was actually laying on an egg when I picked her up this am. After examining her a little more, I'm leaning towards hurt. I will try some Gatorade. I will check those things out. Thank you!

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Crop problems can make them very weak and dehydrated. I always worry about the importance of that, since they may just sit and look sick. I just necropsied a hen yesterday with a gizzard impaction. Her crop then became impacted since she was still trying to eat. She basically starved to death, even though she was out running around with the other chickens. Let us know how she is in the morning.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by