Sick chicken

AmyP716

Songster
9 Years
Apr 16, 2014
Michigan
Help anyone know what might be wrong with my chicken. Her tail is all droopy and she won't really walk too much. She is still eating and drinking. She is in my house now trying to recover. I gave her some dewormer today. I'm not sure what else to do for her. I was thinking maybe she is just too old she is about seven. TIA

Help anyone know what might be wrong with my chicken. Her tail is all droopy and she won't really walk too much. She is still eating and drinking. She is in my house now trying to recover. I gave her some dewormer today. I'm not sure what else to do for her. I was thinking maybe she is just too old she is about seven. TIA
How is your girl doing?
Any swelling, bloat or feeling of fluid in the abdomen?
Is she pooping - what does is look like?

Her stance reminds me of an egg bound hen. She may also be suffering from an internal laying/reproductive disorder like Peritonitis, Salpingitis, Ascites, cancer or tumors.

You can place her in a steamy bathroom or soak her in a warm tub of epsom salts. This may give her some relief and help move things along if she is egg bound. Gently feel inside her vent about 1" to see if you feel an egg.

Give her some extra calcium (Tums, liquid calcium, yogurt, etc.) and some poultry vitamins if you have them. Place her in a warm, semi-dark, quiet area so you can monitor her. Watch to see if she is drinking well - dehydration can make egg binding worse. Give her her normal feed and some extra protein like egg or tuna.

Egg Binding:
http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/07/chicken-egg-binding-causes-symptoms.html

Peritonitis and internal egg laying issues:
http://www.chickenvet.co.uk/health-and-common-diseases/egg-laying-issues/index.aspx
http://scoopfromthecoop.nutrenaworld.com/tag/laying-issues/

Ok so today she seems a little better. I checked for an egg I don't feel one. She is pooping and I noticed it's sticking to her butt a little. I'm cooking her some eggs right now. And I think I will try the steam for her. She really doesn't lay many eggs anymore she really slowed down laying last year.

Ok so today she seems a little better. I checked for an egg I don't feel one. She is pooping and I noticed it's sticking to her butt a little. I'm cooking her some eggs right now. And I think I will try the steam for her. She really doesn't lay many eggs anymore she really slowed down laying last year.

Do the best you can.

Keep her drinking and hopefully she will relax and expel an egg if that is the problem.

my chicks r sick and i need help they r laying on there sides barely moving but still breathing won't open their eyes won't eat won't drink won't stand up i have no idea wut is going on does anyone know anything i can do

my chicks r sick and i need help they r laying on there sides barely moving but still breathing won't open their eyes won't eat won't drink won't stand up i have no idea wut is going on does anyone know anything i can do
Hi @jesking I'm sorry your chicks are ill.

Can you tell us about your brooder set-up - how much heat they have, what type of food you give, etc.?
How long have you had them?
How many are sick?
Are they pooping - what does it look like?

Getting them hydrated is the first thing to do - encourage drinking - if they can't drink on their own, then try dropping water beside their beak to see if they will take it in. If you have electrolytes or poultry vitamins add some of those to the water. If not, you can give a little sugar water.

Sorry this has happened

Several things come to mind.
( A)The first thing is coccidiosis.
That would mean giving the whole flock corid ampolium in the water.

(B) this chick is dehydrated so do this now.

(1) try and put some apple cider vinegar in water;
1 tbsp for cup of water
and see if it helps the chick.
take a straw and draw the acv water up in it and put your finger over the straw and then let it go into the mouth of the chick.
try and get it to act more energeic.

Also when not medicating put 2 tbsp of ACV per gallon of water they drink three times a week
ACV only helps the chicken to use calium and vit D thoughly in their bodies.

Also give the complete flock this

(2WET MASH POBIOTIC RECIPE

for adult chickens feed 3 tbsp. of mix, per time
what they can eat in 20-30 minutes
then clean wet feeder and restock dry crumbles

single chick
2 tsp of dry crumbles
4 tsp of milk
1 tbsp of yoguart
mix good and feed

Do this while your medicating for coccidosis
Multiply amount times how many chicks or chickens are eating the recioe

Last edited:
my chicks r abt a week or two old i bought 5 but now i only have 3 two of them died yesterday and 1 of the others is starting to act weird it's not as energetic as the others it is there with his eyes closed I give them starter feed from a cola their poop looks normal they can be fine one minute and turn around and they're sick and now it's eating drinking it's just starting to act a little lazy idk wut is wrong i got them from somebody The ones that died when they were just laying there and they pooped it was like a dark chocolate color im fixin to put a heat lamp in there but they r in my bathroom with a heater it stays warm but i had to find my other heat lamp

Back
Top Bottom