Sick chicken

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by deepa, Mar 21, 2017.

1. deepa

deepa New Egg

Mar 21, 2017
    My chicken is very sick she has swollen purple comb and wattle, is sleepy all the time, runny poo, very lethargic, not eating or drinking. I lost 5 chicken this week following the same symptoms. Please, help what is wrong with her?

2. sophiejane

sophiejane New Egg

Mar 15, 2017
    I'm so sorry for your losses! :(
    It sounds to me that this could be Avian Influenza, and it can spread to humans.
    Do these symptoms describe what your chickens are going through? If so, you really need to report this and take necessary actions.
    http://m.gemplers.com/tech/avianflusigns.htm

3. wintersrain

wintersrain New Egg

Mar 21, 2017
    I'm looking for sum answers I have gotten 4baby ducks 2 at a time and they have all died. They were fine when I brang them and they eat drink play but when they go to sleep the next morning they r dead or r dieing I don't know what to do and don't want to get anymore till I figured this out

4. Hillaire

Hillaire Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2017
    Hudson Valley NY
    yikes @deepa you need to call local ag dept as this sounds like avian influenza to a T I'm really sorry you are going through this. @wintersrain what is our brooder set up and heat lamp height and temp. where are you getting the ducklings from?

5. deepa

deepa New Egg

Mar 21, 2017
    She died. I had 6 chickens and they all had the same symptoms. They weren't sneezing, coughing nor they had runny nose, they didnt lose coordination, they just sat sleepy and died. In my city there are no vets who see chicken so no one could diagnose their disease.

6. Hillaire

Hillaire Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2017
    Hudson Valley NY
    your whole flock was taken out by this? If it were me I'd call ag dept just to be safe... sorry this is happening to your flock

7. sophiejane

sophiejane New Egg

Mar 15, 2017
    I agree… you should definitely report this to be on the safe side, as it's better to be safe than sorry. So sorry for your losses :( poor darlings

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by