1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

sick chicken

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by jburts, Apr 5, 2017.

1. jburts

jburts Out Of The Brooder

Oct 13, 2014
    this am one of my chickens is not eating or drinking and is acting sick, I seperated her out of the flock and put her in the house in a kennel, checked her to see if she was egg bound, not.
    she either just stands or lays down it happened pretty fast,
    cleaned out chicken coup,
    she also has runny poop, gave her a bath to clean her up and ck for egg bound,
    she was fine yesterday.

2. halleyd591

halleyd591 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 4, 2017
    Statesville, NC
    I'm having the same problem. Mine has been acting the same as you're describing since MONDAY. She is drinking but not eating anything at all that I can tell. Hoping someone can help us both out!

3. jburts

Oct 13, 2014
    I rubbed her crop and it is not enlarged, or full but when I rub it a little I hear some noises like gurggling have her in kennel in house luckily I don't work this week.
    after rubbing just know she pooped very runny poop,
    I guess I will keep rubbing her crop and see what happens,
    if anybody has suggestions that would be great

4. halleyd591

halleyd591 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 4, 2017
    Statesville, NC
    I read on this site somewhere to withold food and only give grit if impacted crop is suspected.

5. jburts

Oct 13, 2014
    ok thanks
    will see how she does through tomorrow
    of course it could be something totally different or combination.
    I just know she is not well.

6. jburts

Oct 13, 2014
    well put chicken back out with others after she was dry from her bath, I let her rest a while in kennel
    she is now eating and drinking and out with the others, so we will see how she is.
    will ck her tomorrow and rub her crop some more after I look at it and see if it is empty or not.
    I also got some vitamins to put in their water that also have proabiotics in them. she still has runny pooh, will keep an eye on that

7. jburts

Oct 13, 2014
    well chicken back to not eating this am, she does not look sick, but something is going on eternally.
    no eggs, will see how it goes

8. jburts

Oct 13, 2014
    well now chicken drank water this am, and now she is in nesting box, looking under her ck for egg, the other chickens are waiting in line to lay theirs, I have four nesting boxes, but they all like the one, so will see if she produces an egg.

9. maaz

maaz Just Hatched

Apr 6, 2017
    My chicks are 4 weeks old and have runny poops they are eating too much and sometimes sit down and close thier eyes and become inactive thier poops are brownish and white
    I need help

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by