Sick chicken

ruizprl14

In the Brooder
Apr 5, 2017
Woke up this morning I have a chicken who's wezzeig and has no energy . all I have on hand is amoxicillen and sulfartrim can I give her one of those if so how much n how often n how many days. Thanks in advance.. Not sure if this is where the post goes still learning

Does she have nasal drainage or watery eyes? I she sneezing? Is there any bad odor that might be a sing of coryza? Have you had any respiratory infections in chickens before? The dosage of amoxicillin for chickens is 250 to 300mg daily, given in 2 or 3 divided doses. Sulfatrim is a sulf antibiotic more suitable for coryza, and several intestinal infections such as coccidiosis and enteritis. I probably would not use antibiotics unless I was more sure of what was wrong. Amoxicillin is used to treat a variety of infections.

Last edited:
Does she have nasal drainage or watery eyes? I she sneezing? Is there any bad odor that might be a sing of coryza? Have you had any respiratory infections in chickens before? The dosage of amoxicillin for chickens is 250 to 300mg daily, given in 2 or 3 divided doses. Sulfatrim is a sulf antibiotic more suitable for coryza, and several intestinal infections such as coccidiosis and enteritis. I probably would not use antibiotics unless I was more sure of what was wrong. Amoxicillin is used to treat a variety of infections.

.. I have 1 amoxicillin 500 mil grams capsule how much water do I add to it. Another chicken this afternoon I can hear wezzing a Lil n has a Lil drainage.. Thinking respiratory...but ive lost a few silkies all had diarrhea . lost some to wry neck. All in polyvisol n electrolytes..think I'am seeing signs of coccidia again.. Any advice would be helpful.. These birds came from a buy sell n trade my daughter put them in the coops with my other chickens with putting them into quarantine first ever since then I'am loading chickens. But not sure if thats whet it came from bc the neighbors chickens free range in a slop hole with goats n pigs they get into my run everyday to eat n get water. Were working on putting netting over the top but not sure when that will get done were commercial fisherman we fish for shrimp and we have a lot to do before the season opens next month after the season opens my husband will be on that boat and barely home for eight months..it will all be on me. Honestly almost feel like giving up.it breaks my he's to have lost almost 7 chickens in the last two weeks.. Smh
Thank you again.
anxiously waiting on your reply on how to mix the amoxicillin...

If you mixed a 500 mg capsule (opening it) in enough yogurt and water to make 5 ml. Mix very well. Then give 1.25 ml or 1 1/4 ml to equal 125 mg twice a day for 7 days. The sulfatrim will treat coccidiosis and coryza. If you are in the US and can get tested, you would know more what you are treating. Buying chickens from multiple sources can bring in contagious diseases, and once they are in the flock they will remain until all birds are gone for at least few weeks. They will all become carriers. It is always a good idea to quarantine any new birds for at least a month to watch for symptoms of disease. Good luck with your chickens.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom