Sick chicken?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Revo, Apr 17, 2017.

1. Revo

Revo New Egg

Apr 17, 2017
    So my chicken is at least 3 years old. Its RIR, so I've notice on my chicken her tail feathers are down and she walks but low to the ground and when she was eating its like she was laying down and eating. Ive give her a bath with lukewarm water and see if that helps nothing cleaning her ******** area cause her poop gets stuck below the ********. when i was giving her a bath i notice she was red underneath. She is very fluffy and walks runs slow. she won't even get into the coop she lays down on the ground. And the other chicken we got is 100% healthy full of energy while this one is slow and not full of energy. So any help is much appreciated thank you

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. PD-Riverman

PD-Riverman Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    Is she a noticeable amount heavier that normal?? If so she might be producing eggs internal and not laying them---egg bound? Or water belly? Does her belly feel firm?

3. Revo

Revo New Egg

Apr 17, 2017
    heavier more like puff feather all the time then being slim like most chickens. well she's not egg bound for sure. her belly feels just firm

4. PD-Riverman

PD-Riverman Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    I do not understand your first sentence----Is she heavier than normal chickens her size? You have not mentioned if she was Laying or not----is she?

5. Revo

Revo New Egg

Apr 17, 2017

She's not heavy just always puffy with her feathers and sometimes she would sleep standing up. I don't know about laying. But I know her poop looks runny cause the other chicken I have is health. When she walks it's slow but she isn't walking like how a egg bound chicken would or standing like one.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2017

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by