Sick Chicken :(

JLSimms

Chirping
5 Years
Jun 4, 2017
Hi all, long time reader (3 years) of this backyard chickens, first post here though. We have a 1 year old Cinnamon queen who is giving me a scare. Two weeks ago I noticed a couple black spots on top of her crown, but was acting fine and is nothing we haven't seen before. The following day we left the state for two weeks to tend to my grandfather's sudden passing and had a friend checking on the chickens, feeding, watering etc etc. He's not an owner of chickens so wouldn't have known if one of them was looking ill. Flash forward to yesterday when we returned home I noticed this gal was not doing well at all :( her face was very pale, comb has turned white, she was falling asleep, not eating, laying down a lot and is very fluffed out with her head pushed back. Today, her one eye is completely closed and the other isn't looking great either. She's lethargic. We brought her inside the house, made her a warm dry bed to keep an eye on her. She ate some scrambled eggs but I'm having hard time getting any water in her. She's not laying eggs and does have watery poop (very little all together though) Done our best to feel around for egg binding, I don't feel any fluid in her crop. no signs of animal attack. Have scoured the internet in search of what this could be.Avian flu? Mareks? Can anyone help me diagnose what this could be? I just don't know. We do not live near a vet that sees chickens. We have nursed chickens back to health from sickness and animal attacks but I'm not feeling very positive about this outcome. We have suffered considerable loss the last few months first our family dog then my grandfather, My heart is torn thinking about losing this chicken too. all other chickens appear completely normal. My youngest son has a special attachment to this particular chicken and any help is appreciated. Here are some photos :( the last one was taken not long before we left. You can see her good coloring compared to today's photos. Thank you. Janelle

IMG_3434.JPG
IMG_3435.JPG
IMG_2890.JPG

Well here is my experienced help:
Lethargic chicken/two vit's/wet mash/E.coli
For this problem I recommend my wet mash probiotic with yoguart be given....Continue Reading

Glenda Heywood
·HOW TO DOCTOR A LATHARGIC CHICKEN
Lethargic chicken/three vit's/wet mash/E.coli
For this problem I recommend my wet mash probiotic with... yoguart be given.
I prefer to use the wet mash probiotic that includes chicken feed, yoguart and milk with applesauce
because chickens will eat the yoguart completely in the wet mash where as some chickens will not just eat yoguart ans it gets on their beaks, of which then they throw it away when cleaning the beaks
as you will notice if standing too close to them eating the yoguart

So read on down where I give the recipe
some advice for helping the chicken get over the lethargic

lethargic , I would suggest and advanced case of E.coli.

With all that is noted here is some good help that I have found to work for the health of the chicken

you mention sluggish behavior that denotes she has a gut problem

So here is what I would do at this time to help her get to feeling better

This is for single bird and I would isolate her so you know she is eating
if you do not have a rabbit cage you can put her in the garage in a dog carrier till she is better
I would start with the Vit E and Vit B complex and Selenium with wet mash

A) chickens do get some upset in the gut with E.coli and then it goes to a nervous disorder.
natural probiotic wet mash with Vit E and Vit B complex and Selenium added immediately
basically the chicken has some nerve damage from the E.coli do this immediately
need neurolodigal vit E and Vit B complex and Selenium for E.coli and the nervous disorder Also the apple cider vinegar in water.

(1) 2 tbsp acv per gallon of water till chickens are well and then 2 times a week for life.
for one chicken use 1 tbsp of ACV for 1 pint of wate.r

(2) immediately give the chicken 1000 mg capsule of liquid Vit E by cutting the end of the capsule and taking the vit E liquid and mix in wet mash probiotic

(2-B) total amt of capsules equals the total amt of chickens fed vit's multiply amt of recipe times amt of chickens fed it and the amt of vit's times amt of chickens given them

(3) also need to crush a vit B complex pill in tbsp and add tsp of water to it
put it in the chickens wet mash after it is dissolved

(3-B) also need to crush a Selenium tablet in tbsp. and add some water to dissolve it, then add to wet mash. MIX WET MASH GOOD AFTER ADDING ALL VITAMINS.

(3-C) then give this to the chicken twice a week for two weeks should see much improvement

after the chicken has eaten the wet mash probiotic clean wet feeder and restock dry crumble feed.

(4 Do three Vit's twice today then for 7 days till you see some improvement in the chicken

(5 today I would see if the chicken will eat a wet mash with the Vitamins E and B complex
and Selenium.

(-B) THIS IS FOR ONE CHICKEN
natural probiotic wet mash
2 tbp of dry crumbles
1 tsp flax seed meal (the kind people take)
3 tbp of milk sweet, sour or buttermilk
1 tbsp of non flavored yogurt
2 tbsp of apple sauce
put it on top so the chicken can smell and see it
mix good and put the
vit E liquid as directed in the wet mash
and crumble the Vit B complex tablet in a tbsp and add to the wet mash
A Selenium tablet crushedand add to wet mash
**BESURE AND MIX VIT'S VERY GOOD IN WET MASH***

(6 Do this twice a day for 7 days to see if the chicken is better
then do this once a day for another week then once a week for a while
this should give the nervous system some stability and cure the bad E.coli in the gut
(6-A) they should clean it up in 20-30 minutes
this will help them get good gut flora
also put 2 tbsp of ACV in gallon of water and keep giving them this water for a week straight
then give it 3-5 times a week for life
Glenda Heywood Cassville Missouri

Hi Janelle, I'm so sorry for your losses. Poor little chicken. I wish I could help you but I'm going through a similar problem. No chicken vet nearby and I have no idea what is wrong with one of my 2 month old chickens. I hope someone here can help you.

For th eye issue do this.
Buy a bottle of Vetrex and use it on the chickens infected with a respiratory disease that affects the eys.
IN EACH EYE
put a drop of the VETREX.
DOWN THE TROAT DAILY 1 tsp of VETREX night and morning.
And all over the Head rub on VETREX.
Then put the VETREX under each wing.
So when they sleep they will be able to breath and will help the eyes also.

You can buy Vetrex at amazon and mst Tractor Supply stores.
Do this and definetly feed the whole flock the WET MASH PROBIOTIC WITH VITAMINS FOR SEVERAL WEEKS,
THEN THE WET MASH PROBIOTIC RECIPE for life 2-3 times a week.

1 year old Cinnamon queen, face was very pale, comb has turned white, she was falling asleep, not eating, laying down a lot and is very fluffed out with her head pushed back.
one eye is completely closed and the other isn't looking great either. She's lethargic.She's not laying eggs and does have watery poop (very little all together though)

Hi @JLSimms Welcome To BYC:frow

I'm sorry your hen is not doing well.
Any poop photos?

Did you feel any swelling, bloat, fullness to the abdomen? It's possible with her age and breed she may have an internal laying/reproductive disorder like Egg Yolk Peritonitis, Salpingitis, Ascites, cancer or tumors.

If you have a vet that can perform testing on a fresh poop sample that would be a good idea. Have them check for Cocci, worms and bacterial infection.

Do your best to get some fluids into her, she may be dehydrated. If you have them, offer some poultry vitamins.

Back
Top Bottom